Newcastle sign Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa for €8 million from Montpellier (French reports)
- January 19, 2013
Widespread reports in France this evening confirm Newcastle have made yet another signing from France’s Ligue 1: highly-rated Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
Rumours of a Newcastle move for the 23-year-old centre back have been rife for a few days with today’s 2-1 home defeat to Reading accentuating the need for reinforcements.
L’Equipe report that Montpellier have accepted an eight million euro bid for Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa this evening and the defender will travel to England early next week to meet with Newcastle boss Alan Pardew and to discuss terms.
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa had been linked with a number of big clubs, including Arsenal and AC Milan, but this is believed to have been the first serious bid received by the Ligue 1 side.
Footage of Newcastle bound Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is on the video below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...