Newcastle sign Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa for €8 million from Montpellier (French reports)
- January 19, 2013
Widespread reports in France this evening confirm Newcastle have made yet another signing from France’s Ligue 1: highly-rated Montpellier defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa.
Rumours of a Newcastle move for the 23-year-old centre back have been rife for a few days with today’s 2-1 home defeat to Reading accentuating the need for reinforcements.
L’Equipe report that Montpellier have accepted an eight million euro bid for Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa this evening and the defender will travel to England early next week to meet with Newcastle boss Alan Pardew and to discuss terms.
Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa had been linked with a number of big clubs, including Arsenal and AC Milan, but this is believed to have been the first serious bid received by the Ligue 1 side.
Footage of Newcastle bound Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa is on the video below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi