Newcastle set to sign Luuk De Jong, with Papiss Cisse joining Gladbach in swap deal [Northern Echo]
- January 16, 2014
The Northern Echo have a transfer exclusive on Thursday morning reporting that Newcastle are set to switch up their attacking options by shipping out Papiss Cisse in return for Borussia Monchengladbach’s Dutch striker Luuk De Jong.
The story, broken by Paul Fraser, reads as follows:
Newcastle United are in discussions with Borussia Monchengladbach centred on striking a potential swap deal that would bring an end to Papiss Cisse’s two years on Tyneside.
The Northern Echo understands the Magpies’ director of football Joe Kinnear is due in Germany for top level talks in the hope of sealing a transfer which would see Luuk De Jong head in the opposite direction.
Whilst swap deals are rare in football these days, the story in the Northern Echo appears to have legs.
At the start of the week, the Newcastle Chronicle announced that a £9m bid for Papiss Cisse from unnamed Qatar club was rejected, however what made apparent is that the Senegalese striker’s days at St James’ Park seem to be coming to an end after Cisse has started just six Premier League games, scoring once.
Moreover, Newcastle’s interest in Luuk De Jong is not new either. The 23-year-old Dutch forward turned down an opportunity to move to Newcastle last summer when he agreed a £12.6m switch to Monchengladbach instead, but now it seems that the attacker may be having regrets on that decision.
De Jong has scored 6 goals in 36 Bundesliga games for Gladbach, however he has yet to find the target this season in 13 attempts.
- Newcastle v Borussia Monchengladbach: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Max Kruse and Christoph Kramer practise party trick before Monchengladbach win [Video]
- Bayern’s Manuel Neuer made an epic error as Gladbach won 2-0 in Munich [Official ...
- A look back at Hannover’s remarkable record-breaking own goal spree [Video]
- Gladbach’s Thorgan Hazard says his goal is to return to Chelsea one day [HLN]
- Thorgan Hazard explains permanent move from Chelsea to Gladbach [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi