Newcastle set to sign Luuk De Jong, with Papiss Cisse joining Gladbach in swap deal [Northern Echo]
The Northern Echo have a transfer exclusive on Thursday morning reporting that Newcastle are set to switch up their attacking options by shipping out Papiss Cisse in return for Borussia Monchengladbach’s Dutch striker Luuk De Jong.
The story, broken by Paul Fraser, reads as follows:
Newcastle United are in discussions with Borussia Monchengladbach centred on striking a potential swap deal that would bring an end to Papiss Cisse’s two years on Tyneside.
The Northern Echo understands the Magpies’ director of football Joe Kinnear is due in Germany for top level talks in the hope of sealing a transfer which would see Luuk De Jong head in the opposite direction.
Whilst swap deals are rare in football these days, the story in the Northern Echo appears to have legs.
At the start of the week, the Newcastle Chronicle announced that a £9m bid for Papiss Cisse from unnamed Qatar club was rejected, however what made apparent is that the Senegalese striker’s days at St James’ Park seem to be coming to an end after Cisse has started just six Premier League games, scoring once.
Moreover, Newcastle’s interest in Luuk De Jong is not new either. The 23-year-old Dutch forward turned down an opportunity to move to Newcastle last summer when he agreed a £12.6m switch to Monchengladbach instead, but now it seems that the attacker may be having regrets on that decision.
De Jong has scored 6 goals in 36 Bundesliga games for Gladbach, however he has yet to find the target this season in 13 attempts.
Watch Live Stream
- Ball Boy vs Bundesliga stars including Lewandowski and Ribery (Video)November 21, 2016
- Liverpool’s endless efforts to sign Mahmoud Dahoud may fail as Dortmund enter the mix [Bild]November 14, 2016
- Thorgan Hazard questions Chelsea’s handling of youngsters [Nieuwsblad]November 13, 2016
- Chelsea’s January priority is to re-sign midfielder they let go last year.November 2, 2016
- Crystal Palace’s Yohan Cabaye online gaming proves he’s still a Newcastle fan (Video)December 4, 2016
- Actor Steve Martin tweets after being mistaken for referee by angry Newcastle fansDecember 3, 2016
- Nottingham Forest v Newcastle: Watch a live stream of The Championship matchDecember 1, 2016
- Hull v Newcastle: Watch a Live Stream of the EFL Cup quarter-finalNovember 29, 2016
- Papiss Cisse thanks Newcastle United after leaving to join Shandong Luneng [Tweets]July 9, 2016
- Newcastle’s Papiss Cisse accused of having two wives, one of which he got pregnant while she was 13 [Sun]July 14, 2015
- Taking the Papiss: Newcastle’s Cisse ditches girlfriend in England to marry a volleyball player in Paris [Sun]June 3, 2015
- Manchester United’s Jonny Evans categorically denies spitting at Papiss Cisse [Club Statement]March 5, 2015