Newcastle set to sign Luuk De Jong, with Papiss Cisse joining Gladbach in swap deal [Northern Echo]
The Northern Echo have a transfer exclusive on Thursday morning reporting that Newcastle are set to switch up their attacking options by shipping out Papiss Cisse in return for Borussia Monchengladbach’s Dutch striker Luuk De Jong.
The story, broken by Paul Fraser, reads as follows:
Newcastle United are in discussions with Borussia Monchengladbach centred on striking a potential swap deal that would bring an end to Papiss Cisse’s two years on Tyneside.
The Northern Echo understands the Magpies’ director of football Joe Kinnear is due in Germany for top level talks in the hope of sealing a transfer which would see Luuk De Jong head in the opposite direction.
Whilst swap deals are rare in football these days, the story in the Northern Echo appears to have legs.
At the start of the week, the Newcastle Chronicle announced that a £9m bid for Papiss Cisse from unnamed Qatar club was rejected, however what made apparent is that the Senegalese striker’s days at St James’ Park seem to be coming to an end after Cisse has started just six Premier League games, scoring once.
Moreover, Newcastle’s interest in Luuk De Jong is not new either. The 23-year-old Dutch forward turned down an opportunity to move to Newcastle last summer when he agreed a £12.6m switch to Monchengladbach instead, but now it seems that the attacker may be having regrets on that decision.
De Jong has scored 6 goals in 36 Bundesliga games for Gladbach, however he has yet to find the target this season in 13 attempts.
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool can soon sign Gladbach’s Mahmoud Dahoud for an incredibly cheap price [Bild]August 10, 2016
- Mahmoud Dahoud drops a hint on Instagram linking him to LiverpoolJuly 3, 2016
- Granit Xhaka posts lengthy message on Instagram after signing for ArsenalMay 25, 2016
- Granit Xhaka pictured in Arsenal kit after completing signing from MonchengladbachMay 21, 2016
- Done Deal: Former Man United & Newcastle midfielder Gabriel Obertan moves to RussiaAugust 24, 2016
- Done Deal: Watford sign Daryl Janmaat from NewcastleAugust 24, 2016
- Newcastle are selling Daryl Janmaat to Vicarage Road, taking DeAndre Yedlin from SpursAugust 23, 2016
- Spurs fringe players Ryan Mason and DeAndre Yedlin close to permanent exitsAugust 23, 2016
- Papiss Cisse thanks Newcastle United after leaving to join Shandong Luneng [Tweets]July 9, 2016
- Newcastle’s Papiss Cisse accused of having two wives, one of which he got pregnant while she was 13 [Sun]July 14, 2015
- Taking the Papiss: Newcastle’s Cisse ditches girlfriend in England to marry a volleyball player in Paris [Sun]June 3, 2015
- Manchester United’s Jonny Evans categorically denies spitting at Papiss Cisse [Club Statement]March 5, 2015