Newcastle paid tribute to two fans who died in the Malaysia Airlines plane crash yesterday
- July 18, 2014
Newcastle United have paid tribute to two of the club’s supporters that died in the Malaysia Airlines plan crash yesterday.
Details aren’t still entirely clarified over what happened to the plane yesterday which was apparently shot down as it flew over Ukraine. US vice president Joe Biden said the incident was ‘no accident’.
More than 280 people died in the crash and Newcastle paid tribute to fans John Alder and Liam Sweeney, both of whom were going to watch Alan Pardew’s side play in a pre-season tour: It is with great sadness that we learn today the tragic news of the deaths of John Alder and Liam Sweeney, two of the Club’s most loyal supporters, who lost their lives on Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 which crashed on Thursday afternoon in Eastern Ukraine.
John and Liam were travelling out to New Zealand together to support Newcastle United in the forthcoming Football United Tour, which takes place next week in Dunedin and Wellington.
Both men were familiar faces at every Newcastle United away game and attended not only first team games but Reserve and Academy matches too.
John was a lifelong supporter and a familiar sight in the stands for almost half-a-century, having barely missed a single game in that time.
Liam will be known to many fans during his time volunteering as a steward on supporters’ buses to away games.
You can read the full club statement here.
We are deeply saddened to learn that two members of the #NUFC family lost their lives on board Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 yesterday.
— Newcastle United FC (@NUFC) July 18, 2014
- Newcastle v Borussia Monchengladbach: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Revealed: Newcastle officially unveil their new Puma away kit for 2015-16 [Pictures]
- Newcastle’s Haris Vuckic scores a solo goal of the season contender v Ajax (Video)
- Sheffield United 2 – Newcastle 2: Georginio Wijnaldum scores for the 2nd game run...
- Rolando Aarons posts Instagram video of his two golazos for Newcastle United (Video)
- Aleksandar Mitrović confirms Newcastle signing of Anderlecht teammate Chancel Mbemba [HNB]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi