- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
- Neymar at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Atletico Madrid [Highlights]
- Porto star Jackson Martinez nets Zlatan-esque backheel volley golazo [Vine & GIF]
- Troll! Juanfran showed Barcelona’s Neymar 7 fingers, referencing 7-1 loss to Germany [Video]
- Christian Eriksen (Spurs) inch perfect free kick golazo v Sheffield United [GIF]
New Zenit coach Andre Villas Boas: ‘I built the Chelsea team that won the Champions League’ (!!!)
In the words of Chandler Bing: ‘Is he actually saying those words’?
AVB has just been unveiled as Zenit manager, and he’s already had his first David Brent moment; some things never change.
Defending his growing reputation as a technocrat vagabond with little success, AVB said:
I’ve always had success wherever I’ve been: with Academica I got to the semi-finals of the League Cup; with Porto I won 4 titles in 1 year; and at Spurs we finished the season with a club record points total.
And then came the piece de resistance…
When I didn’t finish the season with Chelsea, the club ended up winning the Champions League.
‘You have to give the players credit but I was the one who built the team’.
Oh, and what about Di Matteo, AVB, the guy who rescued Chelsea’s campaign and reversed a 1-3 deficit in the last 16?
An incredible brazen piece of charlatanism from AVB; the players were glad to see the back of him, he left zero foundation at Chelsea, and any suggestion otherwise is downright deluded.
Mourinho’s justifiably claimed some credit for Chelsea’s Champions League win, having reared the rearguard and nucleus of the team that won it; Gerard Houllier had the same right to a lesser extent when Benitez won the Champions League with Liverpool; but AVB? Zip.
They won the thing in spite of him!
(Quotes translated from Portuguese from A Bola)
- Updated: March 20, 2014