New Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino’s finest moment in English football so far
- January 18, 2013
Friday morning brought shocking news to the Premier League. Saints boss Nigel Adkins, who led Southampton to successive promotions, was sacked.
Sitting 15th in the league, Southampton immediately appointed Argentinian Mauricio Pochettino. Almost unheard of in England, Pochettino’s name will ring bells with knowledgeable football fans.
For Pochettino is the man that brought down Michael Owen in 2002, allowing David Beckham to fire home from the penalty spot for a 1-0 win.
He’ll be hoping to be remembered by English football fans as more than ‘the guy who fouled Michael Owen’. He’ll start with a tough home game against Everton.
Watch footage of Pochettino’s clumsy tackle on Michael Owen here:
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi