New Leeds owner Massimo Cellino may sack Brian McDermott in order to sign Gianfranco Zola [The Times]
- April 7, 2014
No sooner has Massimo Cellino taken the reigns at Leeds United that rumours of an overhaul of the management staff at the club have started doing the rounds.
To recap, on Saturday afternoon it was officially announced that Massimo Cellino had won his appeal in order to complete a takeover of the Elland Road club.
Whilst the takeover still needs to be ratified and technically locked up, suggestions have already been forwarded by The Times on MOnday that manager Brian McDermott is set for the chop so that Italian favourite Gianfranco Zola can be installed as the new gaffer.
James Ducker reports:
Massimo Cellino will consider appointing Gianfranco Zola to the role of Leeds United head coach if the club’s prospective new owner opts to sack Brian McDermott as part of a shake-up at Elland Road.
Zola has been out of work since resigning as Watford manager in December but Cellino has identified the former Chelsea and Italy forward as a potential replacement for McDermott in what could be one of a series of high-profile changes.
Cellino managed to persuade Zola to finish his illustrious playing career with Cagliari, the Serie A club that he owns, and is known to favour a head coach with a focus on training the team and a director of football, as opposed to a manager responsible for overseeing both duties.
Adding meat on the bones of the story is the phone call Massimo Cellino was recorded on with a Leeds fan last week in which the Italian owner-elect slagged off Brian McDermott.
During the conversation Cellino claimed he was willing to work with McDermott “if he’s going to do the right thing” but added that “if I realise that he’s not good for the team, I have to sack him”.
On that phone call, Cellino also described the current Leeds United side as the worst football team he’s ever seen and criticised Brian McDermott for spending too much time moaning and not enough time coaching.
- Young Leeds fan not very optimistic about team’s promotion chances this season (V...
- Leeds v Burnley
- Leeds pieced together an amazing team move as Alex Mowatt scored v Everton (Video)
- Leeds 1 – Hoffenheim 2: Tom Adeyemi scored his first goal for the Whites (Highlig...
- Shocking: Fan footage of the Leeds United and Eintracht Frankfurt fans fighting [Videos]
- Eintracht Frankfurt v Leeds: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi