- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
- Neymar at the double as Barcelona win 3-2 at Atletico Madrid [Highlights]
- Porto star Jackson Martinez nets Zlatan-esque backheel volley golazo [Vine & GIF]
- Troll! Juanfran showed Barcelona’s Neymar 7 fingers, referencing 7-1 loss to Germany [Video]
- Christian Eriksen (Spurs) inch perfect free kick golazo v Sheffield United [GIF]
New book claims Hugo Lloris & Laurent Koscielny were behind exclusion of Samir Nasri from France squad
The exclusion of Samir Nasri from France’s World Cup squad came into sharp focus again on Friday when it was revealed that Franck Ribery would not make it to Brazil due to injury.
Nasri was one of Manchester City’s stand-out players as they won the Premier League and it came as some surprise that Didier Deschamps could find no place for the playmaker in his 23-man France squad.
A new book was published in France this week by two famous football journalists Pierre Mennes and Daniel Riolo which suggests Nasri’s omission was not only down to Deschamps.
The book is called – “L’Explication”,” – “The Explanation” and features many of the big talking points of the season just gone.
Three senior players, in Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris, Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny and Bastia goalkeeper Mickael Landreau reportedly told Deschamps not to take Nasri to Brazil.
There had been rumours in France that the three senior French players had complained to Deschamps about Nasri’s bad influence on the Les Bleus squad. The book by Mennes and Riolo confirms this.
Lloris, the captain of France sought out Deschamps to inform him. And, Koscielny and Landreau had a similar assessment when questioned by the France boss about the City schemer.
The journalists suggest they have heard that the three senior players from the France squad wanted Nasri out from four different sources.
— Get French Football (@GFN_France) June 8, 2014
- Updated: June 8, 2014