Nabil Bentaleb’s “Xavi-esque” performance for Spurs v Palace [Individual Highlights]
- January 14, 2014
“Here’s the outstanding stat of the weekend for you. On his full league debut, Nabil Bentaleb, Tottenham’s 19-year-old midfielder, made 106 passes. That’s more passes than any other player in the Premier League and he completed 93.4 per cent of them, too. That is phenomenal. He made 17 more than the next best, his team-mate Mousa Dembele (89), more than double Michael Carrick (50) and was only six shy of Barcelona’s pass master Xavi (112).” – Jamie Redknapp in the Daily Mail.
Leaving aside the fact it is in Jamie Redknapp’s interest to big up Nabil Bentaleb, as the youngster is the current face of Tim Sherwood’s Spurs, the above quote is unbeleivable.
Even comparing Bentaleb to Michael Carrick is far fetched, as a midfielder who graced White Hart Lane with distinction before heading to Manchester United. But, Xavi, well, this is simply outrageous.
The intriguing aspect of Bentaleb’s burgeoning career so far has been the disparity between the media and Spurs fans, who have generally played down the youngster’s performances so far.
For many Tottenham fans, Sandro and Paulinho remain Tottenham’s first choice central midfield pairing, in a 4-4-2, and many believe the likes of Etienne Capoue and Lewis Holtby have been unfairly sidelined under Sherwood.
When Andros Townsend returns to the first team (he reportedly played exceptionally well for the Spurs Under-21s today) will Christian Eriksen be moved into a central role, further complicating Bentaleb’s position.
From the video above it is clear Bentaleb had a fine game, shooting well from distance and keeping the ball well – but were the numbers inflated by a host of simple passes?
- Tottenham fans have mixed reactions to reports Alexandre Pato may move to WHL (Tweets)
- Sao Paulo prepare for Alexandre Pato to move to Tottenham before the window closes [UOL]
- Spurred On urge Daniel Levy to splash the cash after Spurs 0 – Everton 0 (video)
- Man United fans rip into Harry Kane after he fired another blank v Everton (Tweets)
- New Spurs striker Heung-Min Son gives first interview since move (Video)
- Europa League Draw: Liverpool & Tottenham get relatively easy groups
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...