Chelsea target Benfica’s André Gomes, 19-year-old has €30m release clause [A Bola]
- June 24, 2013
Portuguese sports daily A Bola have linked Benfica’s 19-year-old midfielder André Gomes with a move to Chelsea on Monday.
The report, initially produced by Fichajes.net, claims that:
Jose Mourinho is pushing Roman Abramovich to make a financial effort to André Gomes to Stamford Bridge this summer. André Gomes renewed his contract with the Eagles until 2019 back in January, which included a new €30m release clause.
After playing a season for Benfica II, the teenage midfielder burst into the Eagles first eleven in 2013-14 making seven appearances and scoring one goal against Gil Vicente.
André Gomes also featured in the Champions League against Barcelona.
Whilst André Gomes comes with a big reputation, it is unlikely that Chelsea will be willing to splurge €30m to buy out the youngsters termination clause. That said, should the player be available for cheaper, a deal could be in the offing.
Noticeably Chelsea’s rumoured interest in André Gomes comes on the same day as gossip spreads that Valencia are trying to sign Oriol Romeu from Stamford Bridge.
Footage of Andre Gomes’ only goal from last season can be seen below.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...