Chelsea target Benfica’s André Gomes, 19-year-old has €30m release clause [A Bola]
- June 24, 2013
Portuguese sports daily A Bola have linked Benfica’s 19-year-old midfielder André Gomes with a move to Chelsea on Monday.
The report, initially produced by Fichajes.net, claims that:
Jose Mourinho is pushing Roman Abramovich to make a financial effort to André Gomes to Stamford Bridge this summer. André Gomes renewed his contract with the Eagles until 2019 back in January, which included a new €30m release clause.
After playing a season for Benfica II, the teenage midfielder burst into the Eagles first eleven in 2013-14 making seven appearances and scoring one goal against Gil Vicente.
André Gomes also featured in the Champions League against Barcelona.
Whilst André Gomes comes with a big reputation, it is unlikely that Chelsea will be willing to splurge €30m to buy out the youngsters termination clause. That said, should the player be available for cheaper, a deal could be in the offing.
Noticeably Chelsea’s rumoured interest in André Gomes comes on the same day as gossip spreads that Valencia are trying to sign Oriol Romeu from Stamford Bridge.
Footage of Andre Gomes’ only goal from last season can be seen below.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi