Chelsea target Benteke as striker hands Aston Villa a transfer request [Telegraph + Mirror]
UPDATE: Since publishing this original article, news has broken that Christian Benteke has put in a transfer request at Aston Villa.
The headline at the top of Tuesday’s Telegraph is of great interest to Chelsea and Aston Villa fans, as it reads “Mourinho wants Benteke after missing Cavani.”
The story is likely a rehash of a piece written by Duncan Castles for Goal.com on Monday.
According to that original piece:
Chelsea are preparing a bid for Aston Villa star Christian Benteke as Jose Mourinho seeks a solution to the club’s pursuit of a new striker.
Benteke fits the coach’s preferred profile of a physically powerful striker capable of leading the attack alone.
At 22, the Belgium international is attracted by the prospect of playing Champions League football and competing for the domestic title after a first Premier League season in which he scored 19 times for a club fighting relegation.
Reports that Benteke wants out of Villa Park are nothing new, with the striker having told Belgium news outlet Nieuwsblad earlier in the summer:
If Aston Villa says I must stay, I won’t necessarily accept that. I do not in any way want to feel I didn’t get the most out of my career. Of course playing the World Cup in Rio is in my head. But I have no fear of falling out of the team. With my family I will decide where my future lies.
Christian Benteke scored 19 goals in his debut season in the Premier League, and those goals can be seen in the video below.
Watch Live Stream
- An amazing stat comparing Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s recent winning record v Aston VillaAugust 23, 2016
- Derby v Aston Villa: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-08-20August 15, 2016
- Former Aston Villa star Dalian Atkinson dies at the age of 48 after being tasered by policeAugust 15, 2016
- Jack Grealish scores a solo goal as Aston Villa beat Rotherham 3-0 (Videos)August 14, 2016
- Chelsea try to offload Cesc Fabregas to Real Madrid [El Confidencial]August 30, 2016
- Updates on Chelsea’s pursuit of Fiorentina’s Marcos Alonso [Fabrizio Romano]August 30, 2016
- Despite Cesc Fabregas claims, Chelsea are still trying to sell the Spaniard [Gazzetta]August 29, 2016
- Chelsea fans take to social media to slam Man City’s Sergio AgueroAugust 29, 2016
- Fans wonder when Christian Benteke will make debut for new club, Burnleyl FC [Tweets]August 20, 2016
- Liverpool fans can’t believe they recouped their money on Christian Benteke sale to Palace [Tweets]August 20, 2016
- Crystal Palace agree £27 million deal to sign Liverpool forward Christian Benteke [BBC]August 18, 2016
- Details of Crystal Palace’s failed bid for Liverpool’s Christian Benteke revealed by the TimesAugust 17, 2016