- Rodgers Out? Liverpool boss compared to David Moyes at Man United last season [Stats & Graphic]
- LOLZ! Brad Jones fell asleep on the Liverpool bench during 3-1 loss at Crystal Palace [Vine]
- Liverpool fans blast Gerrard, Lovren & Rodgers after 3-1 loss to Crystal Palace [Best Tweets]
- Hull City v Tottenham [Team Sheets]
- Barcelona defender Thomas Vermaelen injured AGAIN with fresh hamstring problem [Mundo Deportivo]
Chelsea target Benteke as striker hands Aston Villa a transfer request [Telegraph + Mirror]
UPDATE: Since publishing this original article, news has broken that Christian Benteke has put in a transfer request at Aston Villa.
The headline at the top of Tuesday’s Telegraph is of great interest to Chelsea and Aston Villa fans, as it reads “Mourinho wants Benteke after missing Cavani.”
The story is likely a rehash of a piece written by Duncan Castles for Goal.com on Monday.
According to that original piece:
Chelsea are preparing a bid for Aston Villa star Christian Benteke as Jose Mourinho seeks a solution to the club’s pursuit of a new striker.
Benteke fits the coach’s preferred profile of a physically powerful striker capable of leading the attack alone.
At 22, the Belgium international is attracted by the prospect of playing Champions League football and competing for the domestic title after a first Premier League season in which he scored 19 times for a club fighting relegation.
Reports that Benteke wants out of Villa Park are nothing new, with the striker having told Belgium news outlet Nieuwsblad earlier in the summer:
If Aston Villa says I must stay, I won’t necessarily accept that. I do not in any way want to feel I didn’t get the most out of my career. Of course playing the World Cup in Rio is in my head. But I have no fear of falling out of the team. With my family I will decide where my future lies.
Christian Benteke scored 19 goals in his debut season in the Premier League, and those goals can be seen in the video below.
- Updated: July 8, 2013