Mohammed Al Fayed claims Shahid Khan begged to get the Michael Jackson statue back at Fulham as it’s a lucky charm
- May 6, 2014
Mohammed Al Fayed appeared to be gloating at Fulham’s demise on Tuesday in relation to removal of the Michael Jackson statue from outside Craven Cottage.
To recap, former Fulham owner Mohammed Al Fayed was an avid Michael Jackson fan and when the great musician passed away, the Harrods owner installed a Michael Jackson statue outside his club’s ground.
Fulham fans weren’t so keen on the out-of-place statue, so whenAl Fayed sold the club to rich American businessman Shahid Khan last summer, the owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars immediately sought to remove the MJ statue.
Despite telling Al Fayed otherwise, Khan’s first piece of business at Fulham was to getting rid of the controversial tribute to MJ.
“Our supporters’ views on the statue have been made clear,” Khan said at the time. “I respect Mr Al Fayed and know he had good intentions in paying an individual tribute. However, the removal of the statue is the right thing for Fulham Football Club.”
Several months on, and with Fulham’s relegation now confirmed, Mohammed Al Fayed has now claimed the Cottagers went down because they removed the statue.
Al Fayed was speaking as he formally presented the statue to the National Football Museum in Manchester.
The Egyptian billionaire said:
This statue was a charm and we removed the luck from the club and now we have to pay the price.
When (Khan) asked me to move it I said, ‘you must be crazy’. This is such a fantastic statue which the fans are crying out for.
But now he has paid the price because the club has been relegated. He called me because he told me he wanted Michael to return. I told him, no way.
- Arsenal U21 1 – Fulham U21 0: Krystian Bielik played but Gedion Zelalem stole the...
- Watch Gedion Zelalem’s brilliant winner for Arsenal v Fulham U21s (Video)
- Done Deal: Man City sign Fulham midfielder Patrick Roberts for an undisclosed fee [Twee...
- Aston Villa 1 – Fulham 3: Christian Benteke benched as Cottagers score pre-season...
- Southampton sign Maarten Stekelenburg on season-long loan from Fulham [Video]
- Fulham’s Ryan Tunnicliffe gets two game ban for homophobic tweet about Chelsea...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...