Milan owner Berlusconi: ‘I wanted to sell Balotelli to English club for €35m, but after his World Cup, who’ll pay that?!’
AC Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi’s always had a bit of a chequered relationship with striker Mario Balotelli, and he’s re-lit the fire once more as Balo looks set for the San Siro exit.
With Milan more or less resigned to selling Balotelli due to their dire financial straits, the Rossoneri were seemingly all set to offload Mario for around €35m to an English club (who many feel is Arsenal).
But that was before the World Cup.
With Balotelli having, well, not exactly flopped (1 goal) but certainly not lighting Brazil up, Milan owner has now voiced his concern that his striker’s value has depreciated since Italy’s crashing out of the World Cup group stages.
Berlusconi told the Italian media today:
‘It’s not just Italy that lost the World Cup, I lost out too.
Because I was planning on selling Balotelli to an English club for €35million, but seeing his World Cup (performance), who would buy him for that much?’
A classic Berlusconian moment, but a pretty daft one from Italy’s most successful businessman and media mogul. Why play into buyers’ hand like that?!
Not to mention the disrespect to Balo.
(Via Repubblica Italia )
Watch Live Stream
- Cesc Fabregas’s wife comments on speculation about him moving to AC MilanOctober 17, 2016
- From Manchester to Milan to Madrid: How Chinese investors have ploughed $2 billion in European footballOctober 10, 2016
- Chelsea & Man United tipped to offload players to the two Milan clubs [Corriere dello Sport]October 9, 2016
- AC Milan prepare a big money move for a Chelsea midfielder [CalcioMercatoWeb]September 27, 2016
- Roberto Mancini praises Mario Balotelli but says he must get 20 goals this season [L’Equipe]October 13, 2016
- Mario Balotelli says he has only felt good at Man City & Nice [Quotes]October 5, 2016
- Nice forward Mario Balotelli will have his red card against Lorient revoked [L’Equipe]October 4, 2016
- Mario Balotelli reveals how mistreated he was at Liverpool by Jurgen Klopp [Tweet]October 3, 2016