Mbaye Niang is out of AC Milan’s CL setup because the club screwed up his registration
- September 4, 2013
An embarrassing story involving AC Milan graces the front cover of Corriere Dello Sport on Wednesday as the Rossoneri have screwed up their squad registration for this season’s Champions League group phase.
Mbaye Niang, Milan’s talented 18-year-old striker, is now unavailable for selection throughout the groups after the club mistakenly left his name off their list due to a clerical error.
A paperwork blunder meant that the Rossoneri included Stephan El Shaarawy in the “A List” of players, even though he is eligible for the “B List” also. The B List is reserved for players born after January 1 1992 with at least two years at the club.
Because of El Shaarawy’s placement in Milan’s 25-man A List, Niang was left out of the UEFA squad entirely, and as a result AC Milan director Umberto Gandini – reposinsible for submitting the lists – has been made to look a fool.
AC Milan has since released a statement saying:
Umberto Gandini, Director of AC Milan organization, has assumed the responsibility for the error in the completion of the lists Champions League. Gandini regrets this error and apologizes to all parties concerned and professionally to the Rossoneri fans.
AC Milan’s summer signings Andrea Poli and Kaka were included in Milan’s list, as Rossoneri face Barcelona, Ajax and Celtic in this season’s group of death.
- AC Milan complete signing of Shakhtar Donetsk striker Luiz Adriano for €8million [video]
- Done Deal: AC Milan confirm signing Carlos Bacca from Sevilla [Tweet]
- AC Milan pay AS Roma €20m for Andrea Bertolacci, despite him never playing for the Gial...
- Liverpool miss out on Carlos Bacca; AC Milan secure Sevilla striker [Gazzetta dello Sport]
- New AC Milan boss Sinisa Mihajlovic explains why he’s the best man for the job [V...
- Arsenal target Geoffrey Kondogbia set for move to AC Milan after fee agreed [Sky Italia]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi