Mbaye Niang is out of AC Milan’s CL setup because the club screwed up his registration
- September 4, 2013
An embarrassing story involving AC Milan graces the front cover of Corriere Dello Sport on Wednesday as the Rossoneri have screwed up their squad registration for this season’s Champions League group phase.
Mbaye Niang, Milan’s talented 18-year-old striker, is now unavailable for selection throughout the groups after the club mistakenly left his name off their list due to a clerical error.
A paperwork blunder meant that the Rossoneri included Stephan El Shaarawy in the “A List” of players, even though he is eligible for the “B List” also. The B List is reserved for players born after January 1 1992 with at least two years at the club.
Because of El Shaarawy’s placement in Milan’s 25-man A List, Niang was left out of the UEFA squad entirely, and as a result AC Milan director Umberto Gandini – reposinsible for submitting the lists – has been made to look a fool.
AC Milan has since released a statement saying:
Umberto Gandini, Director of AC Milan organization, has assumed the responsibility for the error in the completion of the lists Champions League. Gandini regrets this error and apologizes to all parties concerned and professionally to the Rossoneri fans.
AC Milan’s summer signings Andrea Poli and Kaka were included in Milan’s list, as Rossoneri face Barcelona, Ajax and Celtic in this season’s group of death.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...