- “Gareth Bale has given the green light to sign for Man United next summer” [Sunday Express]
- Real Madrid post YouTube video of Club World Cup celebrations
- Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to snub Michel Platini after the Club World Cup final
- Carlo Ancelotti equals Alex Ferguson & Pep Guardiola trophy haul after Real Madrid win the CWC
- Real Madrid 2 – San Lorenzo 0: Sergio Ramos & Gareth Bale win the Club World Cup [Highlights]
Amateur Matt Eliason scores glorious overhead kick v Messi & Friends in Chicago charity match
Take a bow son!
This has to go down as one of the greatest football stories EVER!
On Saturday night in Chicago, Lionel Messi led a team of his “Friends” to a 9-6 victory over the Rest of the World and despite the fact the Barcelona superstar scored four goals and the game featured Thierry Henry, there was only one true star.
Struggling to fill up the opposition squad, a number of amateur players were called in to make up the numbers, amongst them was Matt Eliason, a former College player for Northwestern Wildcats.
Eliason is the all-time top goal scorer for Northwestern Wildcats but has failed to receive an opportunity in the MLS and now works as an analyst for GE Capital.
On 28 minutes, Thierry Henry chipped into the box for Eliason to chest down and slam home a glorious overhead kick.
The crowd went wild. Florent Malouda looked genuinely thrilled. And for good measure, Eliason was congratulated by Henry and Alex Song.
The bicycle kick Golazo has already been featured on ESPN’s prestigious SportsCenter top 10 and looks set to go viral, if it hasn’t already.
After the Chicago charity match, which ended in a 9-6 victory for Messi & Friends, Eliason said: “Once the ball was in the air, I thought I might as well go for it in front of all these fans. It’s not every day that you get to play Messi. So I thought I’d give it a try, and fortunately it worked out.“It’s just amazing to be on the same field as him.”
Brilliant stuff! Now, which MLS team (or maybe a European side) will give Matt Eliason a chance?!
- Updated: July 7, 2013