€25m Matic will join Chelsea on Tuesday from Benfica after snubbing Man United [Record, A Bola & O Jogo]
For the second day running headlines about Nemanja Matic grace the front pages of Portugal’s leading sports newspapers, and Record, A Bola and O Jogo all agree that the Serbian midfielder is moving to Chelsea.
The 25-year-old has emerged as one of the top midfielders in world football over the past couple of seasons but Chelsea will likely be ruing the fact they let Matic go in 2011 as part of the swap deal that saw David Luiz arrive at Stamford Bridge.
The reporting of the Matic story has been slightly confusing, with papers in Portugal suggesting on Sunday morning that the player was refusing to participate in the huge match against Porto on Sunday night. In the end Matic played and starred for Benfica in a 2-0 win over the Dragons, but the Portuguese press remain convinced that that shift will be Matic’s last showing in an Eagles shirt.
Matic is expecting to fly to London on Tuesday to complete a €25m move to Stamford Bridge.
The big losers in the race fro Matic are Manchester United, with Record claiming that the Old Trafford giants were also trying to secure the Serb this winter. Jose Mourinho though, appears to have won the race for the player’s signature.
The front pages of Record, A Bola & O Jogo on Monday are below.
Watch Live Stream
- Portuguese pundits argue over Benfica like it’s Trump v Clinton at the Presidential debates (Video)October 20, 2016
- Manchester United sent scouts to watch Benfica starlet Goncalo Guedes [Mirror]October 4, 2016
- Benfica captain Luisão shows his leadership to the Youth with free-kick intervention (Video)October 3, 2016
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola went undercover to watch Benfica’s Alex GrimaldoSeptember 21, 2016
- John Terry congratulates Chelsea team-mates on 4-0 win over Man United [Instagram]October 23, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic slated for smiling after Man United’s 4-0 defeat v Chelsea [Tweets]October 23, 2016
- Jose Mourinho refuses to comment on referee’s decision not to send David Luiz off (Video)October 23, 2016
- Chelsea’s Twitter account trolls Manchester United’s Paul Pogba [Tweet]October 23, 2016