€25m Matic will join Chelsea on Tuesday from Benfica after snubbing Man United [Record, A Bola & O Jogo]
For the second day running headlines about Nemanja Matic grace the front pages of Portugal’s leading sports newspapers, and Record, A Bola and O Jogo all agree that the Serbian midfielder is moving to Chelsea.
The 25-year-old has emerged as one of the top midfielders in world football over the past couple of seasons but Chelsea will likely be ruing the fact they let Matic go in 2011 as part of the swap deal that saw David Luiz arrive at Stamford Bridge.
The reporting of the Matic story has been slightly confusing, with papers in Portugal suggesting on Sunday morning that the player was refusing to participate in the huge match against Porto on Sunday night. In the end Matic played and starred for Benfica in a 2-0 win over the Dragons, but the Portuguese press remain convinced that that shift will be Matic’s last showing in an Eagles shirt.
Matic is expecting to fly to London on Tuesday to complete a €25m move to Stamford Bridge.
The big losers in the race fro Matic are Manchester United, with Record claiming that the Old Trafford giants were also trying to secure the Serb this winter. Jose Mourinho though, appears to have won the race for the player’s signature.
The front pages of Record, A Bola & O Jogo on Monday are below.
Watch Live Stream
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola went undercover to watch Benfica’s Alex GrimaldoSeptember 21, 2016
- Benfica v Braga: Online Live Streaming video [HD] 2016-09-19September 16, 2016
- Anderson Talisca’s wife Anna Paula Ramos reveals racist abuse from Benfica fansSeptember 14, 2016
- Ricardo Quaresma and Besiktas were ecstatic to get Benfica in the UCL draw [Instagram]August 26, 2016
- Eden Hazard interviews Willian, who dedicates his goal v Hull to a special woman (Video)October 1, 2016
- Chelsea fans talk about Eden Hazard & the Champions League after beating Hull (Videos)October 1, 2016
- Chelsea stars dance on the bus after Hull win (video)October 1, 2016
- Gladbach’s Thorgan Hazard talks about returning to Chelsea [HLN]October 1, 2016