- Michael Owen calls for Brendan Rodgers to be given more time at Liverpool [BT Sport Video]
- A Sam Gallagher stunner saw Southampton U21s beat Blackburn in the Premier League Cup final [Video]
- Man United & Liverpool target Memphis Depay is eccentric & doesn’t talk to the media [Talksport Audio]
- Angry Flamengo player gives ref incredibly hard handshake after 1-0 defeat to Vasco [GIF]
- Close up footage of the tension on Barcelona’s bench during the win over Valencia [Video]
€25m Matic will join Chelsea on Tuesday from Benfica after snubbing Man United [Record, A Bola & O Jogo]
- January 13, 2014
For the second day running headlines about Nemanja Matic grace the front pages of Portugal’s leading sports newspapers, and Record, A Bola and O Jogo all agree that the Serbian midfielder is moving to Chelsea.
The 25-year-old has emerged as one of the top midfielders in world football over the past couple of seasons but Chelsea will likely be ruing the fact they let Matic go in 2011 as part of the swap deal that saw David Luiz arrive at Stamford Bridge.
The reporting of the Matic story has been slightly confusing, with papers in Portugal suggesting on Sunday morning that the player was refusing to participate in the huge match against Porto on Sunday night. In the end Matic played and starred for Benfica in a 2-0 win over the Dragons, but the Portuguese press remain convinced that that shift will be Matic’s last showing in an Eagles shirt.
Matic is expecting to fly to London on Tuesday to complete a €25m move to Stamford Bridge.
The big losers in the race fro Matic are Manchester United, with Record claiming that the Old Trafford giants were also trying to secure the Serb this winter. Jose Mourinho though, appears to have won the race for the player’s signature.
The front pages of Record, A Bola & O Jogo on Monday are below.