- Ex-Man Utd man Phil Neville: ‘Arsenal’s defenders can’t defend, Wenger’s responsibility’ [Video]
- ‘I believe we can do it’: Pellegrini’s presser pre-Manchester City v Bayern Munich [Video]
- Total Football! Ntep finishes beautiful Rennes team move v Guingamp [GIF]
- DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders) talks about his upcoming move to Spurs [Video]
- Brendan Rodgers potential sacking “not even a talking point” for Liverpool owners [BBC]
Martin Montoya’s Liverpool transfer looks close as MD Ian Ayre flies to Barcelona to open talks [Mirror]
Liverpool’s bid to lure Barcelona full-back Martin Montoya has taken a step further in the process, with MD Ian Ayre flying out to Catalonia on Thursday to open talks, according to the Mirror.
The Mirror go on to explain that Liverpool’s interest has been piqued by sources in Spain suggesting that talks have broken down completely between Montoya and Barcelona over a new deal, which would make him a free agent in the summer.
With Jose Enrique out injured, Rodgers is believed to see Montoya as the ideal candidate to fill in the short term and to eventually make the spot his own.
Not only can he play both full-back positions, but Montoya is widely regarded as a coming talent in Spain and has been earmarked at the world champions’ next right-back; and having served his apprenticeship at La Masia, Montoya appears ready to fly the coop and gain experience away from the Catalan cocoon.
- Updated: November 28, 2013