Mario Gotze tells Bild he’s unhappy at Bayern Munich, so could Man United swoop in?
The headline story in German daily Bild on Friday focuses in on Bayern Munich’s attacking star Mario Gotze.
Last summer Mario Gotze became the most expensive German player of all time after Bayern Munich shelled out €37 million to sign the starlet from Borussia Dortmund.
Almost 12 months on though, and it’s apparent that Gotze’s life at the Allianz Arena hasn’t gone according to script, and the 21-year-old is now considered an outsider in Pep Guardiola’s team.
Following Bayern capitulation in the Champions League semifinal to Real Madrid, many are wondering how Bayern will react to their setback in the summer, with the narrative being peddled being that the squad, rather than manager Guardiola, will need to adapt before the 2014-15 season kicks off.
Gotze’s first season at Bayern has hardly been a total disaster – his record of 13 goals and 12 assists in all competitions is far from shabby – however the feeling is that people expected more.
Gotze has now told Bild, “Of course I’m not happy. But I will keep pushing and hope to be back soon with the trust of the coach to play from the beginning.” (Quote via the excellent Sport Witness.)
Bild add that Gotze and Guardiola have a testy, distant relationship, and the tabloid suggests their differences cannot easily be resolved.
So could Gotze move to Man United?
The Red Devils have long been known to rate the German international attacking midfielder, and these fresh reports from Bild would seemingly open up a fresh approach from Old Trafford if they believe they could get the star.
Watch Live Stream
- Arsenal fans react to news Serge Gnabry may join Bayern Munich [Tweets]August 30, 2016
- Bayern Munich plan to sign Arsenal’s Serge Gnabry [Sky Germany]August 30, 2016
- Bayern fans display a banner attacking Arjen Robben for his son training with 1860 MunichAugust 29, 2016
- Arsenal tried to sign Antoine Griezmann & Robert Lewandowski this summer [Sun]August 28, 2016
- Man United’s Matteo Darmian linked to Inter Milan [Gazzetta dello Sport]August 30, 2016
- EA Sports reveal FIFA 17 ratings after getting James, Rashford and co. to rate themselves (Video)August 29, 2016
- Olivier Giroud discusses Arsenal’s title chances & hails Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s influence at Man UnitedAugust 29, 2016
- Twitter explodes as rumours circulate that Jordan Henderson will replace Wayne Rooney as England captainAugust 29, 2016
- Bromance: A happy Marco Reus welcomes Mario Gotze back to Dortmund on TwitterJuly 21, 2016
- Mario Gotze celebrates move from Bayern back to Borussia Dortmund [Facebook]July 21, 2016
- Done Deal: Mario Gotze returns to Borussia Dortmund from Bayern MunichJuly 21, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund agree terms with Bayern for Mario Gotze [Süddeutsche Zeitung]July 20, 2016