Mario Gotze tells Bild he’s unhappy at Bayern Munich, so could Man United swoop in?
The headline story in German daily Bild on Friday focuses in on Bayern Munich’s attacking star Mario Gotze.
Last summer Mario Gotze became the most expensive German player of all time after Bayern Munich shelled out €37 million to sign the starlet from Borussia Dortmund.
Almost 12 months on though, and it’s apparent that Gotze’s life at the Allianz Arena hasn’t gone according to script, and the 21-year-old is now considered an outsider in Pep Guardiola’s team.
Following Bayern capitulation in the Champions League semifinal to Real Madrid, many are wondering how Bayern will react to their setback in the summer, with the narrative being peddled being that the squad, rather than manager Guardiola, will need to adapt before the 2014-15 season kicks off.
Gotze’s first season at Bayern has hardly been a total disaster – his record of 13 goals and 12 assists in all competitions is far from shabby – however the feeling is that people expected more.
Gotze has now told Bild, “Of course I’m not happy. But I will keep pushing and hope to be back soon with the trust of the coach to play from the beginning.” (Quote via the excellent Sport Witness.)
Bild add that Gotze and Guardiola have a testy, distant relationship, and the tabloid suggests their differences cannot easily be resolved.
So could Gotze move to Man United?
The Red Devils have long been known to rate the German international attacking midfielder, and these fresh reports from Bild would seemingly open up a fresh approach from Old Trafford if they believe they could get the star.
Watch Live Stream
- Liverpool forward turned down Man United and Bayern MunichDecember 10, 2016
- Manuel Neuer scores a belter in Bayern Munich training, Thomas Muller commentates (video)December 8, 2016
- Bayern Munich president: We’re £170million behind top Premier League clubsDecember 7, 2016
- Xabi Alonso shows off his impressive watch collection in new film (Video)December 7, 2016
- Man United v Spurs: Premier League preview, line-ups & predictionsDecember 10, 2016
- Jose Mourinho trolls Arsenal ahead of clash with Tottenham HotspurDecember 10, 2016
- Polyglot: Manchester United’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan is a genius off the pitch as well as on itDecember 10, 2016
- Premier League clubs eye up Real Madrid defender this January [Mirror]December 10, 2016
- Borussia Dortmund’s Mario Gotze gives depressing forecast on his career [Bild]November 12, 2016
- Bromance: A happy Marco Reus welcomes Mario Gotze back to Dortmund on TwitterJuly 21, 2016
- Mario Gotze celebrates move from Bayern back to Borussia Dortmund [Facebook]July 21, 2016
- Done Deal: Mario Gotze returns to Borussia Dortmund from Bayern MunichJuly 21, 2016