Mario Balotelli misses a penalty (finally), Pepe Reina saves, end is nigh jokes abound
- September 22, 2013
Napoli’s 2-1 win over AC Milan will be remembered for one thing: Mario Balotelli finally missed a penalty.
In 26 previous attempts, Mario Balotelli had scored all the penalties he had taken as a professional.
To say Super Mario missed is a little unfair, as Pepe Reina made an excellent save with the former Liverpool keeper in inspired form at the San Siro.
Two facts will likely be forgotten in the aftermath of the penalty FAIL:
1. Mario Balotelli was excellent against Napoli and didn’t deserve to be on the losing side. The fact he scored a sublime goal late on and then got sent off after the match had finished, pretty much sums up the Italian striker.
2. Napoli are still unbeaten in Serie A and Rafa Benitez’s side could well challenge at home and in the Champions League this season.
Reina did brilliantly to hold his ground and wait until the very last moment to dive. Rafa Benitez often orders his keepers to study penalty taking opponents and it would be no surprise if the Napoli coach or his back room staff were responsible for this save.
- AC Milan complete signing of Shakhtar Donetsk striker Luiz Adriano for €8million [video]
- Done Deal: AC Milan confirm signing Carlos Bacca from Sevilla [Tweet]
- AC Milan pay AS Roma €20m for Andrea Bertolacci, despite him never playing for the Gial...
- Liverpool miss out on Carlos Bacca; AC Milan secure Sevilla striker [Gazzetta dello Sport]
- New AC Milan boss Sinisa Mihajlovic explains why he’s the best man for the job [V...
- Arsenal target Geoffrey Kondogbia set for move to AC Milan after fee agreed [Sky Italia]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi