Mario Balotelli misses a penalty (finally), Pepe Reina saves, end is nigh jokes abound
Napoli’s 2-1 win over AC Milan will be remembered for one thing: Mario Balotelli finally missed a penalty.
In 26 previous attempts, Mario Balotelli had scored all the penalties he had taken as a professional.
To say Super Mario missed is a little unfair, as Pepe Reina made an excellent save with the former Liverpool keeper in inspired form at the San Siro.
Two facts will likely be forgotten in the aftermath of the penalty FAIL:
1. Mario Balotelli was excellent against Napoli and didn’t deserve to be on the losing side. The fact he scored a sublime goal late on and then got sent off after the match had finished, pretty much sums up the Italian striker.
2. Napoli are still unbeaten in Serie A and Rafa Benitez’s side could well challenge at home and in the Champions League this season.
Reina did brilliantly to hold his ground and wait until the very last moment to dive. Rafa Benitez often orders his keepers to study penalty taking opponents and it would be no surprise if the Napoli coach or his back room staff were responsible for this save.
Watch Live Stream
- Chelsea to submit €35m offer to AC Milan for Alessio Romagnoli on Wednesday [Di Marzio]August 23, 2016
- AC Milan’s Gianluigi Donnarumma (17) makes last-minute penalty save to secure win (Video)August 23, 2016
- Chelsea make an offer for an AC Milan defender [Di Marzio]August 22, 2016
- Gigi Donnrumma saves last-minute penalty to win game for AC Milan v Torino (Videos)August 21, 2016
- Palermo fans display banner begging club to sign Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli [Picture]August 23, 2016
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho held a meeting with Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli [Calcio Mercato]August 17, 2016
- Jamie Carragher has excoriating evaluation of Mario Baloteeli’s career (Video)August 13, 2016
- Jurgen Klopp warns that Liverpool won’t be ‘giving’ Mario Balotelli away (Video)August 12, 2016
- Eliaquim Mangala’s Man City departure should see Chelsea finally land a defender [Times]August 24, 2016
- Chelsea up their offer for Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly [Gazzetta dello Sport]August 23, 2016
- Gonzalo Higuain sends thank you message to Napoli fans [Instagram]August 19, 2016
- Chelsea launch £60m bid for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly [Telegraph]August 17, 2016