Marca: Manchester United linked with Atletico Madrid keeper David Gil (real name!)
- January 10, 2013
Spanish newspaper Marca link Manchester United today with an Atletico Madrid goalkeeper by the name of David Gil.
Of course, David Gill (two l’s) is the rather famous chief executive of Manchester United so this transfer story could get rather confusing if it comes to fruition.
The 18-year-old goalkeeper David Gil is reportedly being tracked specifically by Sir Alex Ferguson’s brother, Martin, who turns up at plenty of matches in Spain.
Martin Ferguson has even been to Atletico Madrid training sessions to get a glimpse of Gil in action. The young custodian is highly rated and appeared for Spain at Under-20, 19, 18 and 16 levels.
Gil has been pinpointed as one of Atletico’s future first team keepers but much like David De Gea, could be lured to Old Trafford with a mega offer.
It was just a year-and-a-half ago that Manchester United signed David De Gea from Atletico Madrid for around 19 million pounds.
Gil is currently contracted to the La Liga giants until 2015.
Manchester United may have to move quickly though since Gil is close to a first team squad position and Atletico boss Diego Simeone is understood to be impressed with his progress.
Video footage of David Gil is not easy to come by, but below is a clip of him training with Spain’s Under-16s.
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi