Marca flag up a dodgy Gerd Muller goal as Lionel Messi chases down his scoring record
- December 6, 2012
The morning after Lionel Messi was stretchered off the Nou Camp pitch following a clash with Benfica goalie Arthur, Spanish media outlet Marca is drawing attention to a dodgy Gerd Muller goal scored way back in 1972.
Why is this important?
Lionel Messi is on the verge of rewriting the football history books after the Barcelona and Argentinean attacker has scored 84 goals in 2012.
In the race to be the all-time leading goalscorer in a single calendar year, Messi now trails West German legend Gerd Muller by just one single strike with the Catalan-based striker having four games remaining this year to overtake Der Bomber. The fear after the Benfica game, however, was that Messi’s injury may end his chances of bettering Muller’s record – a fear which now seems to have subsided amid promising prognosis reports – and so making sure they have all angles covered Marca have gone about trying to discredit Muller’s scoring fete.
The game in question was West Germany’s 4-1 victory over the USSR: a match in which Muller scored four goals.
One of Muller’s goals however has been drawn into disrepute after video evidence clearly showed that the ball crossed the line after deflecting off the Soviet goalie.
Marca admit it is “unlikely” that Fifa will rectify the match stats of a game played 40 years ago, however should Messi fail to score the two goals he needs to be the outright scoring champion, you can bet your bottom dollar that this issue will be revisited by the Spanish media machine.
Watch the dodgy Gerd Muller goal below.
[jwplayer config=”For-all-videos” mediaid=”265721″]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...