- Ajax thrashed at home! Vitesse win 4-0 in the KNVB Beker [Official Highlights]
- Juventus ease to 3-1 win at Cagliari [Highlights]
- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
Manchester United set to sign Feyenoord defender Stefan de Vrij for €7-10m [Corriere dello Sport]
Ever since Louis van Gaal took over as Manchester United boss, the Premier League side have been linked with more or less every member of the Holland squad.
Nevertheless, a report from Corriere dello Sport would appear to have real credibility today, confirming that Stefan de Vrij has agreed to join Manchester United and a fee is agreed with Feyenoord.
How do Corriere, the famous Italian newspaper know this? Well, because Lazio have been trying to sign Stefan de Vrij for some time…
Accordingly, Corriere report that Lazio have given up the chase for the 22-year-old defender as when Manchester United and Louis van Gaal came in for Stefan de Vrij it was a given that he would head to Old Trafford.
The fee is expected to be between seven and ten million euros and comes just days after moves for Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw were agreed by Manchester United.
De Vrij had toured the Lazio training ground two months ago, met the Lazio hierarchy and thought to be keen on a move to Serie A.
But, as Corriera put it, “the call from van Gaal is worth more than anything.”
Ten million euros, a fee Feyenoord are unlikely to refuse, seems about right for de Vrij who has been impressive for Holland at this World Cup and could well emerge as a top class central defender in the coming years.
- Updated: June 28, 2014