Manchester United sell Bebe to Benfica for €3 million
- July 25, 2014
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) July 25, 2014
It’s the end of an era.
Tiago Manuel Dias Correia, AKA Bebe, has left Manchester United for Benfica, in a 3 million euro deal.
The Portuguese striker arrived in Manchester in 2010 amid much hype, following reports that Sir Alex Ferguson’s staff had spotted him playing at the Homeless World Cup, though he’d really participated in the European Street Football Festival.
It was largedlywith this ‘homeless’ cachet that United signed Bebe, seemingly with designs on moulding him into a world class player at the Theatre of Dreams, thereby creating a real life ‘rags to riches’ fairytale.
Alas, it turned out Bebe’s touch was a lot more ‘street’ than Fergie had accounted for, the striker bringing new meaning to the term ‘raw’.
After that inauspicious first season, Bebe was farmed out on loan to Besiktas, and then again for the next two seasons to the Liga Sagres, where he really impressed with Paços de Ferreira last year, scoring a number of sensational strikes.
The cast was die for Bebe when Louis van Gaal was brought in as manager, the striker’s raw style not chiming with the Iron Tulip’s tactical nous.
Still just 24, it’s surprising United were willing to sell Bebe at a loss, having signed him for around 9 million euros in 2010, but having said that it’s not like he’d become the subject of a bidding war this summer.
- Benfica fan asks Man United target Nico Gaitan to stay at the club. He replies “w...
- Hero: Luisao stopped the Benfica team bus to give an 11 year old fan his shirt [Instagram]
- Benfica 2 – PSG 3: Goals from Lucas Moura & Lucas Digne sealed the Parisians...
- Benfica v PSG: Watch a Live Stream of the pre-season friendly
- Rafael’s agent confirms Man United & Benfica are negotiating over Nico Gaita...
- Man United restart talks with Benfica for Nico Gaitan. Offer cash plus Chicharito [A Bola]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi