- Manchester City make Koke (Atletico Madrid) & Paul Pogba (Juve) summer transfer targets [MD]
- Chelsea leading Barça & Man United in race to sign Corinthians’ £20m-rated Malcolm Silva [Express]
- Real Madrid players want to face Chelsea in Champions League to shut Mourinho up [MARCA]
- Everton boss Roberto Martinez: ‘Papiss Cisse’s elbow was unacceptable, he went to hurt Coleman’ [Video]
- Newcastle No2 John Carver: ‘I was eating a pie when Alan Pardew asked me to do press conference’
Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher insists the aim this season is to win the title
Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher has insisted that the aim for his club this season is to win the title.
United had a catastrophic campaign last year, plummeting from champions to seventh place also-rans within the space of 12 months.
With quotes from United’s official website, Fletcher spoke to United Review, the official matchday programme, and didn’t want last year’s failures to blight the ambitions of the Louis van Gaal era.
“We’re out to win the league. You start every season at Manchester United with the aim of winning the league. I don’t think this club should ever fall into the trap of being satisfied with finishing in the top four. That’s not the Manchester United I know.
You play football to win trophies especially at this club. It’s a dangerous mindset to be getting into if you start thinking you’d be happy to get into the top four and everybody around the squad is thinking about winning the league.”
Having said that, Fletcher also didn’t want the squad’s focus to be obscured by the optimism around Old Trafford: “You have to harness it and use it as a positive. We know last season was disappointing and the fans are desperate for us to put it right and that’s what we want too. The fans will definitely be excited to see the boss and the new signings. That should translate into a good atmosphere, which, in turn, usually helps us play well on the pitch. We all have to push in the right direction and use it as a positive.”
Man United v Swansea – Best Odds!
BETFAIR EXCLUSIVE ODDS – 4/1 Man United to beat Swansea
Back Man United to beat Swansea City at the current Sportsbook price, Your winnings will get topped up within 24hrs.
- Updated: August 15, 2014