B101 Writer

Login Status

You are not logged in.

Gigya

Manchester United director Bobby Charlton says Chelsea target Wayne Rooney will stay at Old Trafford

article 2240368 0AEA76FD000005DC 675 634x328 Manchester United director Bobby Charlton says Chelsea target Wayne Rooney will stay at Old TraffordThe past few days have seen Manchester United emit several noises which suggest that, despite the constant speculation linking Wayne Rooney away from Old Trafford, that the England international striker will stay on at the Theatre of Dreams during 2013-14.

Rooney limped out of Manchester United’s pre-season on just day one of their Far East tour with a hamstring injury, and since, barely a day has gone by without a report linking Rooney away from Old Trafford with Chelsea billed as his prime suitors.

Throughout the summer the Red Devils had maintained their position that Rooney is going nowhere, and the past few days have seen those messages get louder.

Last week Manchester United released a new poster promoting their upcoming Swedish tour, and the club used Wayne Rooney’s face as the main draw for the match against AIK in Stockholm on August 6th.

On Sunday Manchester United fans received further indications that Rooney is staying put courtesy of new comments made by MUFC director Bobby Charlton.

Wayne Rooney is a Manchester United player and I think that he will continue to be a Manchester United player. We are not silly enough to make any rash decisions. I don’t like losing really good players and he is a really, really good player.

I was hoping one day that he might score as many goals as I had and that would have been really nice if it was at our club – and I’m still thinking that way.

See Bobby Charlton’s interview below.