Manchester United consider swapping Shinji Kagawa for Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus [The Times]
- November 12, 2013
When was the last time two top class internationals swapped clubs?
The Times of London have a big transfer story on the backpage of their broadsheet on Tuesday, under the headline “United target Reus swap to make up for Kagawa flop”.
According to James Ducker:
Manchester United are weighing up an ambitious move in January for Marco Reus, the Borussia Dortmund midfielder, as part of a deal that could lead to Shinji Kagawa returning to the German club.
The 24-year-old, who has 3½ years left to run on a contract that is reported to include a buyout clause of €35 million (about £29 million), also has seven goals in 17 appearances for Germany and has been linked with several leading European clubs.
Klopp’s desire to take Kagawa back to Dortmund is still strong, although it remains to be seen if he would be prepared to part company with Reus, especially in mid-season.
Ilkay Gundogan, Reus’s Dortmund and Germany team-mate, has also been scouted by United but the extent of their interest in the defensive midfielder is unclear. United could also move in January for Luke Shaw, the Southampton and England Under-21 left back, who is considered a more attainable target than Leighton Baines, of Everton.
What seems apparent is that the current Manchester United squad is still not working for David Moyes in the manner which the Scot would like, and the search for new recruits is undoubtedly focusing attentions.
Yet the thought the United and Dortmund could agree a deal in which Ries and Kagawa swapped their current homes seems, at this stage, to be little more than paper talk.
Moreover, Reus told German paper Bild just last week: I am in Dortmund and I intend to stay here. We have a great group and I want to win titles with Borussia.
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang wins plaudits for signing Dortmund deal in snazzy attire (Pic...
- Off to Arsenal or Liverpool? Marco Reus was with his agent at Heathrow airport on Tuesd...
- Mats Hummels knows who ate all the pies at Borussia Dortmund last season
- Marco Reus runs the length of the pitch, nutmegs Bonucci and scores solo beauty (Video)
- Dortmund’s Aubameyang finishes off brilliant counter-attack versus Juventus (Video)
- Tottenham join Arsenal in race for 26-year-old striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang [Franc...
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi