Manchester City make sly dig at Howard Webb as alleged United-supporting ref retires [Tweets]
- August 6, 2014
— Manchester City FC (@MCFC) August 6, 2014
Howard Webb hung up his whistle today, retiring as a referee to take up a role with officials body PGMOL (Professional Game Match Officials Limited).
The news predictably provoked a torrent of Twitter gags about the former Old Bill, who’s career was tainted with allegations that he was a Manchester United fan.
Probably due to a few unlucky mistakes in high profile games more than anything, the reputation has followed Webb particularly over the last few years, the United link peaking in 2011 when he awarded a very soft penalty to United against Liverpool in an Old Trafford FA Cup clash.
Aside from all the usual gags, there was one rather interesting subversive tweet from…Manchester City.
The blue half of Manchester tweeted a patently sarcastic tweet to Webb with a ‘Good Luck’ message accompanied by the ref sending off Chinese international Sun Jihai.
Showing that football never forgets, City clearly wanted to remind Webb that he was wrong to send Sun off that day in 2006, when the decision swung the game, and West Ham went on to beat them in the FA Cup quarter final.
And the colour of the card? Red.
— Pie Sports Booze (@piesportsbooze) August 6, 2014
Howard Webb: "It was a tough decision to retire, but I'm looking forward to spending more time with my family" pic.twitter.com/v64XCTKBXt
— Football Funnys (@FootballFunnys) August 6, 2014
"I was really looking forward to working with Howard Webb. It's an awful blow to our hopes of winning the league." – Louis van Gaal
— Michael Gooner (@MickTheGooner) August 6, 2014
Man Utd fans must be gutted to lose Howard Webb. Big void to fill
— Total LFC (@TheTotalLFC) August 6, 2014
Howard Webb retires from Premier League football… pic.twitter.com/zUldo1T9LQ
— Paddy Power (@paddypower) August 6, 2014
— Rio Ferdinand (@rioferdy5) August 6, 2014
- Man City & Man United top transfer window net spend Premier League table [Picture]
- Rating the starting XIs of the Premier League top 6, ft. Chelsea & Arsenal (video)
- Gary Neville purrs over Manchester City’s strength in depth after De Bruyne signi...
- Kevin De Bruyne gives first interview since signing for Manchester City (Video)
- Manchester City officially sign Kevin De Bruyne from Wolfsburg [Vine & Best Tweets]
- Man City’s Vincent Kompany tries to defend a goal against 100 kids at the same ti...
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...