Man United’s 4-4-2 system against Southampton didn’t work: Rooney too high, Fellaini too deep [Video analysis]
Capper Tom Payne has tried his hand at unpicking Manchester United’s difficult start under David Moyes and, using the Southampton game for his video case study, the argument is made that United’s 4-4-2 system is faulty.
The criticism runs that United’s 4-4-2 formation is too rigid, with the backline playing too deep and Rooney now playing too far forward, which in turn has isolated the midfield.
One of the main fallguys in United’s system is Marouane Fellaini, who is neither an attacking threat nor a particularly good defensive cover in the present team.
Watch the analysis of Manchester United’s 4-4-2 formation below.
Watch Live Stream
- John Terry congratulates Chelsea team-mates on 4-0 win over Man United [Instagram]October 23, 2016
- Juan Mata admits Manchester United’s 4-0 defeat to Chelsea was painful (Video)October 23, 2016
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic slated for smiling after Man United’s 4-0 defeat v Chelsea [Tweets]October 23, 2016
- Eric Bailly suffers ‘really bad’ injury in Man United defeat at ChelseaOctober 23, 2016
- Graeme Souness: Ref bottled sending Chelsea’s David Luiz off v Man United (Video)October 23, 2016
- Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs: Marouane Fellaini was a ‘panic buy’October 22, 2016
- Man United fans slam Marouane Fellaini’s first-half performance v Zorya [Tweets]September 29, 2016
- Marouane Fellaini was statistically Manchester United’s best midfielder at Watford [Graphic]September 19, 2016