Man United’s 4-4-2 system against Southampton didn’t work: Rooney too high, Fellaini too deep [Video analysis]
Capper Tom Payne has tried his hand at unpicking Manchester United’s difficult start under David Moyes and, using the Southampton game for his video case study, the argument is made that United’s 4-4-2 system is faulty.
The criticism runs that United’s 4-4-2 formation is too rigid, with the backline playing too deep and Rooney now playing too far forward, which in turn has isolated the midfield.
One of the main fallguys in United’s system is Marouane Fellaini, who is neither an attacking threat nor a particularly good defensive cover in the present team.
Watch the analysis of Manchester United’s 4-4-2 formation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic praises Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s ‘magnificent’ goal v Zorya (Video)December 8, 2016
- Jose Mourinho shows great agility to dodge linesman during Zorya 0 – Manchester Utd 2 (Video)December 8, 2016
- Paul Scholes & Michael Owen agree Henrikh Mkhitaryan should start v Tottenham (Video)December 8, 2016
- Paul Scholes & Michael Owen tip Manchester United to win Europa League (Video)December 8, 2016
- West Ham to make January move for Man Utd’s Marouane Fellaini [Telegraph]December 7, 2016
- Man United fans rage over Marouane Fellaini’s inclusion in squad for Zorya [Tweets]December 7, 2016
- Marouane Fellaini was afraid of LVG, holds grudge against David Luiz (Video)December 6, 2016
- Man United’s Marouane Fellaini still fuming over David Luiz’s shocking tackle on himDecember 5, 2016