Man United’s 4-4-2 system against Southampton didn’t work: Rooney too high, Fellaini too deep [Video analysis]
Capper Tom Payne has tried his hand at unpicking Manchester United’s difficult start under David Moyes and, using the Southampton game for his video case study, the argument is made that United’s 4-4-2 system is faulty.
The criticism runs that United’s 4-4-2 formation is too rigid, with the backline playing too deep and Rooney now playing too far forward, which in turn has isolated the midfield.
One of the main fallguys in United’s system is Marouane Fellaini, who is neither an attacking threat nor a particularly good defensive cover in the present team.
Watch the analysis of Manchester United’s 4-4-2 formation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Well Duh: Mail write unbelievably obvious story about Sir Alex Ferguson & Paul PogbaJuly 30, 2016
- Paul Pogba to Man United & John Stones to Man City are virtually done deals (BBC Audio)July 30, 2016
- Paul Pogba signs a Man United fan’s shirt with ‘Pogba 6’ on the back [Instagram]July 30, 2016
- Man United target Paul Pogba jokes about his medical [Instagram]July 30, 2016
- Jose Mourinho puts 4 big-name Man United players up for sale, will keep Fellaini [Daily Record]July 17, 2016
- Romelu Lukaku & Fellaini take a pasting as Belgium lose 0-2 to Italy [Tweets & Memes]June 13, 2016
- Belgium calling: Marouane Fellaini causes an economic catastropheJune 7, 2016
- Man United star Marouane Fellaini was trending after dying his afro blonde [Best Tweets]June 6, 2016