Man United’s 4-4-2 system against Southampton didn’t work: Rooney too high, Fellaini too deep [Video analysis]
Capper Tom Payne has tried his hand at unpicking Manchester United’s difficult start under David Moyes and, using the Southampton game for his video case study, the argument is made that United’s 4-4-2 system is faulty.
The criticism runs that United’s 4-4-2 formation is too rigid, with the backline playing too deep and Rooney now playing too far forward, which in turn has isolated the midfield.
One of the main fallguys in United’s system is Marouane Fellaini, who is neither an attacking threat nor a particularly good defensive cover in the present team.
Watch the analysis of Manchester United’s 4-4-2 formation below.
Watch Live Stream
- Man United legend Nemanja Vidic is flattered by comparisons to Eric Bailly [Quotes]September 26, 2016
- The Man United squad WhatsApp group chat with Wayne Rooney after Leicester win [Spoof]September 26, 2016
- Jesse Lingard trolls Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford with hilarious Snapchats (Video)September 26, 2016
- Man United’s Antonio Valencia reacts to claims he cheated on his wife with Sophie VågsæterSeptember 26, 2016
- Marouane Fellaini was statistically Manchester United’s best midfielder at Watford [Graphic]September 19, 2016
- Paul Scholes lambastes Manchester United after Watford defeat, insists Fellaini must be changed (Video)September 18, 2016
- New Andy Tate? Man Utd fan wants one of Rooney or Fellaini to ‘f**k off’ after Watford defeat (Video)September 18, 2016
- Some people think Marouane Fellaini spat at Nolito during the Manchester derbySeptember 12, 2016