- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Man United to offer Wayne Rooney a new long term deal as Chelsea sniff around [Sunday Telegraph]
He has reportedly handed in two transfer requests, he was said to be “angry and confused” with his status at Manchester United, but now it seems that Wayne Rooney could be set to commit his long term future to Old Trafford.
The Sunday Telegraph splash the front page of their weekend pullout with the headline: Rooney to be offered new long-term deal.
Behind the headline Jason Burt writes:
Manchester United want Wayne Rooney to sign a new contract keeping him at the club “well into his thirties”.
Rooney’s deal expires in June 2015 – he will turn 30 in October that year – and United are set to propose a lengthy contract extension to ward off continuing interest from Chelsea.
They will not want Rooney to go into the final year of his current deal although it is understood that Chelsea have indicated they will bid again if he does so.
United have yet to decide whether they will make a fresh bid for Everton’s Leighton Baines… Uuited will also continue their search for another midfield player although they will not increase their single bid of 20 million for Ander Herrera which was rejected by Athletic Bilbao.
A copy of front page of the Sunday Telegraph can be read below.
- Updated: September 6, 2013