Monday, August 19th, 2013
The race to sign Cameroonian superstar Samuel Eto’o is hotting up according to Gazzetta Dello Sport.
Italy’s pink paper have announced on Monday that Manchester United are set to meet with Eto’o's agent Claudio Vuigorelli in England on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of the Anzhi forward moving to Old Trafford this summer.
Manchester United are far from the only suitors chasing Eto’o. Gazzetta namedrop Inter Milan, Chelsea and Manchester City as other options for the African attacker.
Gazzetta fail to detail the transfer fee needed to prise Eto’o from Anzhi, nor do they detail Eto’o's wage demands.
Rumours suggest that 32-year-old Eto’o should be available for around £5m, while the striker is also ready to take a pay cut from his current salary of €20 million a year after tax.
According to the Italian media outlet, Manchester United will only sign Eto’o if they sell Wayne Rooney, while a similar situation is said to be in play at Stamford Bridge, with Chelsea only interested in signing Eto’o if they can sell either Fernando Torres or Demba Ba.
Last week all indications pointed to Chelsea as the frontrunners for the centre-forward, as Eto’o, who previously worked with Jose Mourinho at Inter Milan, told reporters:
There is only one Jose Mourinho. I have played under a lot of great coaches but there is no other character in the game like Jose. He is one of the best coaches in the world – and we had a lot of success together at Inter. I would like to have the chance to play under him again – because it is never boring when Jose is around. Of course Chelsea are a great team – and when we have all the offers on the table then I will discuss with my agent and see what my next step is.
The four-time African Player of the Year has fired in goals throughout his career and his time in Dagestan has been no exception.
Eto’o has already scored twice in the opening five games of the 2013-14 season, while last campaign Eto’o scored 18 goals in 29 games for both club and country.