Man United sent scouts to watch Sporting’s €45m-rated William Carvalho this weekend [Sport Witness]
Just because the transfer window is shut, doesn’t mean transfer talk stops.
The good people at Sport Witness have today reported that Manchester United’s attempts to bolster their midfield continued at the weekend as, not for the first time, the Red Devils sent scouts to watch Sporting Lisbon’s highly-rated midfielder William Carvalho.
For the record, Sporting drew 0-0 with Académica, while William Carvalho was booked two minutes into stoppage time meaning the midfielder picked up a suspension ahead of next weekend’s derby away to Benfica.
Sport Witness report:
In a weekend that was quiet for reported scouting trips, being immediately after the close of the window, Manchester United again visited the Alvalade for William Carvalho. The strong and energetic central midfielder, he’s not limited to defensive or attacking, has a buyout clause of €45m but clubs could get him for cheaper in reality.
21-year-old Carvalho is one of the hottest stars in Portugal, and the new Patrick Vieira has completed a fantastic first half of the season for the current second-placed team in the Portuguese top flight.
Whether Man United can land William Carvalho remains questionable however because of the youngster’s complicated ownership structure. Sporting only own 60% of Carvalho, while another company, BES, own 40%.
While United would have to overcome the obstacles of Carvalho’s ownership, then there is also the fee involved in the transfer. Carvalho is under contract at Sporting until 2018, and has a massive €45m buyout clause.
Video evidence of William Carvalho can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho offers olive branch to Bastian Schweinsteiger (Video)December 2, 2016
- Jose Mourinho thinks Anthony Martial is working harder than before [Mail]December 2, 2016
- Eljero Elia warned Man United flop Memphis to use Spurs as ‘stepping stone’December 2, 2016
- Leicester set to beat Man United to £15m-rated Genk teenager [Guardian]December 2, 2016
- Great story: How a young fan lost it when he met Cristiano Ronaldo in the mixed zone at SportingNovember 23, 2016
- John O’Shea on the night Alex Ferguson decided to sign Cristiano Ronaldo [ESPN]November 21, 2016
- Fernando Santos has one Cristiano Ronaldo regret from their Sporting CP daysNovember 10, 2016
- Arsenal’s Joel Campbell saves Sporting CP in the 96th minute (Video)October 22, 2016