Man United sent scouts to watch Sporting’s €45m-rated William Carvalho this weekend [Sport Witness]
Just because the transfer window is shut, doesn’t mean transfer talk stops.
The good people at Sport Witness have today reported that Manchester United’s attempts to bolster their midfield continued at the weekend as, not for the first time, the Red Devils sent scouts to watch Sporting Lisbon’s highly-rated midfielder William Carvalho.
For the record, Sporting drew 0-0 with Académica, while William Carvalho was booked two minutes into stoppage time meaning the midfielder picked up a suspension ahead of next weekend’s derby away to Benfica.
Sport Witness report:
In a weekend that was quiet for reported scouting trips, being immediately after the close of the window, Manchester United again visited the Alvalade for William Carvalho. The strong and energetic central midfielder, he’s not limited to defensive or attacking, has a buyout clause of €45m but clubs could get him for cheaper in reality.
21-year-old Carvalho is one of the hottest stars in Portugal, and the new Patrick Vieira has completed a fantastic first half of the season for the current second-placed team in the Portuguese top flight.
Whether Man United can land William Carvalho remains questionable however because of the youngster’s complicated ownership structure. Sporting only own 60% of Carvalho, while another company, BES, own 40%.
While United would have to overcome the obstacles of Carvalho’s ownership, then there is also the fee involved in the transfer. Carvalho is under contract at Sporting until 2018, and has a massive €45m buyout clause.
Video evidence of William Carvalho can be seen below.
Watch Live Stream
- Don’t ever be late for a rendez-vous with Paul Pogba (Video)August 26, 2016
- Jose Mourinho calls Manchester United’s Europa League group ‘Champions League’ (Video)August 26, 2016
- Man United starlet Andreas Pereira joins Granada on a season-long loanAugust 26, 2016
- Jose Mourinho trolls Bayern after saying Schweinsteiger first-team return is ‘not impossible’ (Video)August 26, 2016
- Arsenal’s Joel Campbell joins Sporting CP on loanAugust 21, 2016
- Man City plot the signing of a Portuguese Euro 2016 winner [Times]August 14, 2016
- Pep Guardiola targets Portugal Euro 2016 hero Rui Patricio to replace Joe Hart [Daily Record]August 13, 2016
- Real Madrid make Portugal star Joao Mario their big transfer target [AS]August 4, 2016