Manchester United-Real Madrid ref Cuneyt Cakir tells AS: “Nani’s red was correct”
- March 8, 2013
Spanish newspaper AS have bagged some quotes from the villain of the hour (at least in England) – Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir who officiated Manchester United 1 – Real Madrid 2 and (in)famously sent off Nani.
Cakir appears to stand by his decision, telling AS: “I feel good and I do not doubt my decisions. Nani’s red was correct. The world will realize the truth over time.”
AS then pressed Cakir on his disciplinary record with English teams, as the Turkish referee has previously sent off Gary Cahill, Steven Gerrard, John Terry and Mario Balotelli – see graphic here.
The Turkish official replied: “In previous games with English teams no decision was unfair. Which was a wrong decision? Did Terry red or Balotelli not deserve to be sent off?”
On all the criticism post Manchester United’s exit from the Champions League, Cakir added: “It gives me a sense of sadness. I try not to think about it. I have received criticism before, but I always got up and went on. I can do it again . Try to do my job properly and I’m in a good way. I have to go on doing my job right. ”
According to reports in Turkey, Cakir received a mark of 8.2 out of 10 from UEFA for his performance at Old Trafford. With suggestions that he lost points on a potential offside for United’s first goal and a penalty that should have been awarded to Real Madrid for a handball by Raphael.
There have also been suggestions that Rio Ferdinand should have been sent off at the end of the match for sarcastically clapping Cakir.
Video of the Nani sending off is below.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...