- Video of the incredible rain storm that suspended Estoril v PSV
- Robin van Persie set to be replaced by Radamel Falcao for Man United v Hull [Sun]
- BassBuds deny they were behind 3 Spurs-Partizan pitch invasions
- WOW! Samir Handanovic saves 6th (sixth!) consecutive penalty for Inter Milan v Dnipro
- TrollStation take credit for 3 pitch invasions during Spurs-Partizan 1st half
Man United plot £100m spending spree for five players including Arsenal’s Vermaelen & Di Maria [Sun]
The Sunday Sun have a classic over-the-top transfer article this weekend, suggesting Manchester United are set to spend mega money to buy five top-class footballers.
United has so far signed Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera this summer, but Louis van Gaal is seemingly less than impressed with his squad as he targets more fresh recruits.
Noticeably, four of the players now linked to Old Trafford are defenders, following the departures of Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Patrice Evra.
The five players targetted by United are Arsenal’s Thomas Vermaelen, Borussia Dortmund’s Mats Hummels, Feyenoord’s Stefan De Vrij, Ajax’s Daley Blind and Real Madrid’s Angel Di Maria.
Unfortunately the Sun fail to outline the price tags of each of the players, leaving readers to wonder whether £100m is even enough to sign all those stars from their clubs.
Stepping backwards, rather than swallowing the notion that all these five players will join the Red Devils, the narrative being painted is that United’s squad is below-par in the Dutchman’s eyes, while these five players represent LVG’s wishlist rather than an exact report of nailed-on signings.
It’s also worth pointing out that United have been linked with all these players individually throughout the summer, meaning that none of these transfer leads appear to be anything all that new.
- Updated: July 27, 2014