Man United need to fork out £40m to Borussia Dortmund for midfielder Marco Reus [Daily Mail]
- December 26, 2013
What a load of bullshit!
The Daily Mail have trotted out a never-gonna-happen transfer story on Boxing Day which the pseudo-tabloid have in fact previously rubbished.
Giving the impression of being hit-whores, the Mail fart the eye-grabbing headline “£40m and Reus is yours! United boss Moyes told to break the bank if he wants to sign Dortmund ace Marco in January.”
At this point it’s worth remembering a similar story published by the Mail less than two week ago.
Back then John Edwards reported that Marco Reus could be bought from Borussia for (just) £30m because “cracks [have] started opening up in Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund empire.” The hack did however have the sense to write at that time “there seems little prospect of a move being sanctioned in the January window, but United will be heartened by a growing feeling the attacking midfielder may consider heading to Old Trafford in the summer, unless Dortmund are back on Bayern’s coattails again. for re”
Fast forward to today, and not only have United’s chances of landing Reus miraculously improved, apparently, but the German international has seen his price tag jump up by a significant £10m for reasons unknown.
According to David Kent:
Manchester United have been warned that David Moyes’s main transfer target Marco Reus will cost up to £40million. Midfielder Reus had a £29.4m buy-out clause in his contract at Borussia Dortmund.
Conveniently, the Mail fail to note that while 24-year-old Reus does indeed have a release clause in his contract, that clause only comes into effect in 2015.
Morevover, with Reus contracted to the Champions League runners-up until 2017, and with BVB keen to extend that deal with a significant pay rise in return for scrapping the release clause, all common sense points to the German =midfielder staying put for the time being.
- Mats Hummels knows who ate all the pies at Borussia Dortmund last season
- Marco Reus runs the length of the pitch, nutmegs Bonucci and scores solo beauty (Video)
- Dortmund’s Aubameyang finishes off brilliant counter-attack versus Juventus (Video)
- Tottenham join Arsenal in race for 26-year-old striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang [Franc...
- Fan cam footage of Mats Hummels’s brilliant curling half-volley for Dortmund v Lu...
- Golazo: Mats Hummels scores sweet half volley in Dortmund’s win over Luzern [Video]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi