- Chelsea’s Jose Mourinho explains how his wife convinced him not to take the England job [Video]
- Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho tells brilliant new story about Liverpool’s Mario Balotelli [Video]
- Andre Schurrle rules out speculation linking him with a move away from Chelsea
- Man United star Juan Mata praises Radamel Falcao & Real Madrid in latest blog post
- Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers says performance v Arsenal was better than 5-1 win last year [Video]
Man United & Man City target Iniesta after he rejects Barcelona contract [Sunday Star]
Slapped with the predictable “EXCLUSIVE” headline, the Star on Sunday claim to have the inside scoop on Manchester United and Manchester City’s next top transfer target.
According to Paul Hetherington, who daren’t not be believed:
Andres Iniesta has put Manchester United AND City on alert by rejecting a new contract at Barcelona.
United boss David Moyes, who takes his side to the Etihad today for the Manchester derby, has been trying to sign a playmaker. And City already have close links to Iniesta through Sporting Director Txiki Begiristain.
The Story in the Star builds on last week’s reports in Marca that confirmed Andres Iniesta rejected the first offer of a contract extension made by Barcelona. Marca added:
Barça offered the player a salary of €12 million gross plus €3million in add-ons. However, one week on and negotiations continue. It seems both parties want the player to remain at the club beyond 2015, when his current contract expires, but they still seem far from reaching a deal – around €5 million off, MARCA has been informed.
Iniesta is not concerned about becoming one of Barça’s top earners, but merely wants to feel the club can fulfil his expectations. The midfielder is said to be after a figure of around €17 million gross, plus bonuses for the various objectives he achieves.
The backpage of the Star on Sunday is below.
- Updated: September 21, 2013