- Quality fan footage vine of Christian Eriksen’s free-kick v Sheffield United
- Chelsea appear to have a clear advantage with the fixture list in the build-up to the Capital One Cup final
- Andrea Pirlo’s quality skills v Parma for Juventus in the Coppa Italia [GIF]
- USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann backheels TWO balls at the same time! [GIF]
- Diego Simeone says Barcelona’s Leo Messi is better than Ronaldo, Bale & Benzema combined
Man United short in midfield as Michael Carrick may be out until Christmas with Achilles problem [Various Papers]
(Above is the list of games Michael Carrick may now be unavailable for.)
It’s bad news for England and Manchester United fans on the backpages on Wednesday.
Michael Carrick, arguably the first name on David Moyes’ teammate, has been forced to withdraw from the England setup on Tuesday with an Achilles tendon problem, and the injury may keep the midfielder out of action until Christmas.
The news of Carrick’s injury, which came at the same time as reports leaked that Manchester United are set to offer the 32-year-old a new two year deal at Old Trafford, has left United with a serious problem in the centre-mid position.
With Tom Cleverley and Marouane Fellaini failing to hit the high notes this season with the Red Devils, the long-term absence of Carrick has left United with a hole which may be difficult to fill.
One possible solution may be for Ryan Giggs or Shinji Kagawa to play a more central role for United, while Adnan Januzaj receives an uninterrupted run of games to show what he can do down the left hand side.
Alternatively, news of Carrick’s injury may be offset by the return to action of Darren Fletcher, and the Scottish midfielder could make his United’s first team return slightly quicker than he may have expected.
Cutouts from the backpages of the Daily Mail and Star reporting on Michael Carrick’s injury are below.
- Updated: November 13, 2013