Man City’s Yaya Toure racially abused by CSKA fans: “It is unbelievable. I want to see UEFA do a lot to tackle racism”
— Vincent Kompany (@VincentKompany) October 23, 2013
CSKA Moscow fans were disgraced during their 2-1 home defeat to Manchester CIty on Wednesday night in the Champions League when they hailed monkey noises at Yaya Toure.
The incident was initially reported by Sky Sports’ touchline reporter during the match, and following the final whistle the Sky crew got to speak to Yaya Toure directly to get his view on the racism.
Yaya said that he told the referee about the abuse:
It was quite disappointing. It was unbelievable. Very, very sad. Some of the songs today in the crowd were really stupid. I think UEFA need to do something to stop that.
I want to see UEFA do a lot. UEFA could close the stadium, maybe ban the stadium for a couple of years. As an African player it is always sad to hear something like that.
Watch Yaya Toure’s post match interview below.
Watch Live Stream
- Kevin De Bruyne’s injury may trigger a special coming together for the Hazard brothers [HLN]September 26, 2016
- Arsenal & Liverpool stars joined by Paul Pogba & Sergio Aguero in the BBC XI of the weekSeptember 26, 2016
- Manchester City loanee Bersant Celina scores again for FC Twente (video)September 25, 2016
- Pep Guardiola is changing English football at Man City (Sky Video)September 25, 2016
- Listen to the complete, crazy rant from Yaya Toure’s agent towards Pep Guardiola (BBC Audio)September 25, 2016
- Dimitri Seluk at it again, says Pep Guardiola treats players like dogs [Tweet]September 23, 2016
- Yaya Toure is allowed to leave Man City for one of their title rivals in January [Guardian]September 21, 2016
- ‘Money-hungry’ Pep Guardiola told Yaya Toure he was leaving Barcelona for a ‘sh*t team’ in 2010September 21, 2016