- EXCLUSIVE Offer: Back Tottenham to reach the Capital One Cup final at 2/1!!!
- The wealthiest football clubs on the planet and how they make their money [Graphic]
- Luis Figo announces his intentions to run against Sepp Blatter for FIFA President [Video]
- Arsenal man Mesut Ozil sends out (weird) emotional thank you video to all his fans [Video]
- Jose Mourinho blasts Jamie Redknapp & Rodgers; Bemoans media “campaign” against Diego Costa [Video]
Man City’s Alvaro Negredo nearly scores brilliant overhead kick for Spain v Georgia
Spain’s two international victories over Belarus and Georgia, securing the world champions their spot in Brazil, were a major personal triumph for Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo.
Two goals in two games for Negredo appear to have secured the former Sevilla striker the number 9 spot in the Spain squad, for the time being at least.
For both club and country, Negredo has four goals in four games and Vicente Del Bosque was somewhat complimentary after the victory over Georgia.
The Spanish boss said: “Negredo is a forward who plays less than his capacity. He has a lot of untapped potential.”
There will likely be plenty of speculation over who will lead the line for Spain at Brazil 2014 and Negeredo’s most likely challenger is Diego Costa, the Atletico Madrid striker weighing up whether to play for the World Cup hosts or La Furia Roja.
Before Negredo did get on the scoresheet against Georgia he produced an excellent overhead kick from just inside the area that was spectacularly saved by goalkeeper Giorgi Loria.
- Updated: October 16, 2013