- Arsenal’s Flamini & Rosicky post-QPR: ‘Penalty was harsh on us, but we forgive ref – it’s Christmas’ [Video]
- Thierry Henry will make cameo appearance in Entourage movie
- QPR’s Eduardo Vargas sold out Chile teammate Alexis Sanchez for Arsenal penalty!
- The funniest Soccer Saturday moments so far this season [Video]
- Fernando speaks about getting his first Manchester City goal in the win over West Brom [Video]
Man City’s Alvaro Negredo nearly scores brilliant overhead kick for Spain v Georgia
Spain’s two international victories over Belarus and Georgia, securing the world champions their spot in Brazil, were a major personal triumph for Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo.
Two goals in two games for Negredo appear to have secured the former Sevilla striker the number 9 spot in the Spain squad, for the time being at least.
For both club and country, Negredo has four goals in four games and Vicente Del Bosque was somewhat complimentary after the victory over Georgia.
The Spanish boss said: “Negredo is a forward who plays less than his capacity. He has a lot of untapped potential.”
There will likely be plenty of speculation over who will lead the line for Spain at Brazil 2014 and Negeredo’s most likely challenger is Diego Costa, the Atletico Madrid striker weighing up whether to play for the World Cup hosts or La Furia Roja.
Before Negredo did get on the scoresheet against Georgia he produced an excellent overhead kick from just inside the area that was spectacularly saved by goalkeeper Giorgi Loria.
- Updated: October 16, 2013