Man City’s Alvaro Negredo nearly scores brilliant overhead kick for Spain v Georgia
Spain’s two international victories over Belarus and Georgia, securing the world champions their spot in Brazil, were a major personal triumph for Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo.
Two goals in two games for Negredo appear to have secured the former Sevilla striker the number 9 spot in the Spain squad, for the time being at least.
For both club and country, Negredo has four goals in four games and Vicente Del Bosque was somewhat complimentary after the victory over Georgia.
The Spanish boss said: “Negredo is a forward who plays less than his capacity. He has a lot of untapped potential.”
There will likely be plenty of speculation over who will lead the line for Spain at Brazil 2014 and Negeredo’s most likely challenger is Diego Costa, the Atletico Madrid striker weighing up whether to play for the World Cup hosts or La Furia Roja.
Before Negredo did get on the scoresheet against Georgia he produced an excellent overhead kick from just inside the area that was spectacularly saved by goalkeeper Giorgi Loria.
- Golazo: Valencia’s Alvaro Negredo scores delicate lobbed volley v Koln (Video)
- Alvaro Negredo controls pass with amazing back-heel first touch in Valencia training [V...
- Rodrigo De Paul hit a sublime cross for Alvaro Negredo’s goal versus Granada [Video]
- Young Valencia fan with cerebral palsy meets his hero Alvaro Negredo [Video]
- Fan runs on to pitch for selfie with Gerard Pique after Spain beat Luxembourg (Video)
- Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas becomes Spain’s leading assister, posts to Facebook
- Santi Cazorla & Alcacer bag a brace apiece as Spain beat Luxembourg 4-0 (Videos)
- Spain boss Vicente Del Bosque disapproves of Diego Costa’s recent behaviour (Quotes)