Man City to bid £30m for Porto centre-half Eliaquim Mangala in January [Sunday Star]
Manchester City are ready to spend big again in January to recruit a centre-half according to the Star on Sunday.
Paul Hetherington, in his article titled “Pell in for £30m El – Porto ace is top City target”, reports that the Citizens are ready to plough a significant amount of dough in order to sign Eliaquim Mangala from Porto.
Manchester City will make a £30m move for Porto defender Eliaquim Mangala as soon as the transfer window opens in January.
New City boss Manuel Pellegrini tried for the France defender just before Monday’s transfer deadline.
The bid came too late for Porto to line up a proper replacement. But they left the door open for City to return in the new year. City will face competition from Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona who all rate Mangala, 22.
Mangala was tipped with a move to Stamford Bridge in the summer, possibly as a replacement for David Luiz (who was constantly linked to Barcelona), however as we now all know, no deal materialised.
One suspects the story in the Mirror may have something to do with the injury picked up by new Man City centre-half Martín Demichelis, who is set to be out for six weeks after picking up a knee ligament injury in City training last week.
The former Standard Liege defender impressed at Porto in 2012/2013, earning a call up to France’s international squad for friendlies with Uruguay and Brazil.
A copy of the Star on Sunday’s backpage is below.
Watch Live Stream
- Manchester United v Manchester City: Watch a Live Stream of the EFL Cup matchOctober 26, 2016
- Man City’s Kevin De Bruyne is injured, will miss Man United gameOctober 25, 2016
- Rap Battle: Pep Guardiola vs Jose Mourinho (video)October 25, 2016
- Man United v Man City: EFL Cup preview, line-ups & predictionsOctober 25, 2016
- Arsenal have been scouting Porto’s Andre Silva since last year’s U20WC [O Jogo]October 6, 2016
- Leicester v Porto: UEFA Champions League preview, line-ups & predictionsSeptember 26, 2016
- Everton very close to signing Yacine Brahimi from Porto [Ojogo]August 30, 2016
- Sporting CP post highlights clip of Arsenal’s Joel Campbell debut cameo in 2-1 win (Video)August 29, 2016