- A defender in Sweden headbutts the crossbar after conceding a goal [Videos]
- Juventus may pay £50m to sign Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling as they gear up to sell Paul Pogba [Sun]
- Man United fan campaign succeeds after Liverpool remove Mario Balotelli from POTY poll
- The top ten goals from round 32 of La Liga, featuring Antoine Griezmann overhead [Video]
- The goal of the night award goes to Clarence Seedorf [Video]
Man City close in on Barcelona’s Victor Valdes as his move to Monaco stalls [Star]
- February 21, 2014
The Star, a tabloid with an awful record of getting transfer stories correct, fart on the backpage of their Friday offering that Manchester City are closing in on Barcelona stopper Victor Valdes.
In a rather boring headline on the red-top, the Star claim “Cty swoop for Valdes – Barca kkeeper on Pell radar”. Of course, the story comes just days after Barcelona beat Man City 2-0 in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 match in Manchester.
Inside the article Paul Brown scribbles:
Valdes is understood to have verbally agreed to join Monaco – but was set a deadline to sign a binding pre-contract with them which has now passed.
That has angered billionaire owner Dmitry Rybolovlev, who is ready to turn his attention to Hannover’s Ron-Robert Zieler instead, and City are poised to take advantage.
Should the tittle-tattle prove accurate, then big question-marks would be aimed at City’s England international keeper Joe Hart and his future at the Etihad.
Watch Victor Valdes’ individual highlights from the match against Man City earlier in the week below.