- Liverpool target Aston Villa’s Fabian Delph as Steven Gerrard replacement [Mirror]
- Eden Hazard agrees £52m Chelsea deal taking him through to 2020 [Sun]
- FC United of Manchester sing songs for Eric Cantona and The Busby Babes [Video]
- Jose Mourinho tells Talksport he was ‘inches away’ from signing Thierry Henry – for Barça!
- Spurs’ Emmanuel Adebayor posts tribute to Thierry Henry with picture of pair from Arsenal days
Man City boss Pellegrini: ‘I don’t care about player nationality’; no guarantees for Joe Hart [Video]
UKIP won’t have liked the sight of Man City’s Manuel Pellegrini didn’t name a single Briton or Englishman in his starting XI to face Arsenal in the Community Shield.
Ironically, Arsenal were the first team to do this, back in 2005, and since then, it’s not exactly a rare event, so City boss Pellegrini was keen to play down the importance of it.
‘It doesn’t matter for me if the player is from Europe, America, Asia – I pick the team I believe is best to win a particular game; I don’t look at nationality.
Asked about Joe Hart’s number 1 credentials, Pellegrini gave no guarantees for the England keeper, saying ‘every player has to prove he’s the number 1 in his position’.
- Updated: August 10, 2014