Major doubts emerge over Mateo Musacchio move to Spurs [AS]
Spanish newspaper AS confirmed on Monday evening that there are now major doubts over Tottenham’s attempts to sign Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio.
The 23-year-old central defender is reportedly Mauricio Pochettino’s first choice to strengthen the centre of defence and the Spurs boss wants to pair the Argentine defender with Jan Vertonghen in the middle of the backline.
Tottenham have begun discussions with the Yellow Submarine over Musacchio who is now training alone and was pulled out of the friendly with Middlesbrough on Saturday.
However, now the deal is being held up since Argentine side River Plate have a 35% sell-on clause in Musacchio’s contract.
Sources close to the move have confirmed to AS that this is a “very complicated” transfer to get over the line.
Due to the River Plate clause, Villarreal are now asking for much more money from Spurs, around 50 million euros which is the value of Musacchio’s current release clause.
Tottenham are understood to have offered around 26 million euros for Musacchio and River Plate are unhappy that Villarreal could sell the defender for around half his release fee.
Musacchio’s agent is also due a big windfall from any transfer and Villarreal are getting worried that the deal may not happen in time to allow them to sign a replacement.
This could be a long saga now…
Watch Live Stream
- Schalke agree loan deal with Spurs for Nabil Bentaleb [L’Equipe]August 23, 2016
- Newcastle are selling Daryl Janmaat to Vicarage Road, taking DeAndre Yedlin from SpursAugust 23, 2016
- Spurs fringe players Ryan Mason and DeAndre Yedlin close to permanent exitsAugust 23, 2016
- Marcus Edwards scores a couple of cracking goals for Spurs U23s (Videos)August 23, 2016
- Roberto Soldao damages cruciate ligament. Villarreal striker out for 6 monthsAugust 10, 2016
- New Man United star Eric Bailly pens letter to Villarreal fans on Instagram [Translated]June 8, 2016
- Done Deal: Manchester United sign Eric BaillyJune 8, 2016
- Villarreal’s Eric Bailly to have Man United medical this week ahead of £30m move [BBC]June 7, 2016