Major doubts emerge over Mateo Musacchio move to Spurs [AS]
- August 5, 2014
Spanish newspaper AS confirmed on Monday evening that there are now major doubts over Tottenham’s attempts to sign Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio.
The 23-year-old central defender is reportedly Mauricio Pochettino’s first choice to strengthen the centre of defence and the Spurs boss wants to pair the Argentine defender with Jan Vertonghen in the middle of the backline.
Tottenham have begun discussions with the Yellow Submarine over Musacchio who is now training alone and was pulled out of the friendly with Middlesbrough on Saturday.
However, now the deal is being held up since Argentine side River Plate have a 35% sell-on clause in Musacchio’s contract.
Sources close to the move have confirmed to AS that this is a “very complicated” transfer to get over the line.
Due to the River Plate clause, Villarreal are now asking for much more money from Spurs, around 50 million euros which is the value of Musacchio’s current release clause.
Tottenham are understood to have offered around 26 million euros for Musacchio and River Plate are unhappy that Villarreal could sell the defender for around half his release fee.
Musacchio’s agent is also due a big windfall from any transfer and Villarreal are getting worried that the deal may not happen in time to allow them to sign a replacement.
This could be a long saga now…
- Spurs midfielder Mousa Dembele will be fit for next game despite scare v Everton [Tweet]
- Ex-Spurs & West Ham boss Harry Redknapp was attacked by a gazebo on transfer deadl...
- Spurs have £15million bid for West Ham midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate rejected [Mail]
- Tottenham target Victor Wanyama set to stay at Southampton [Sky Sports]
- West Ham are in talks with Tottenham over Emmanuel Adebayor (Sky Sports Video)
- Why Erik Lamela’s move from Tottenham to Marseille collapsed [L’Equipe]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...