Luiz Felipe Scolari leaves his post as Brazil manager after 20 months in charge
After 20 months in the job, Luiz Felipe Scolari is no longer the national team coach for Brazil.
The news has broken is strange circumstances in the World Cup host nation, as no official statement has been released by the Brazilian football association, the CBF, as of the time of writing.
Nevertheless, leading Brazilian media outlet UOL, amongst others, have the story splashed on their front page of their website, carrying the following quotes from Delfim Peixoto, who is the vice president-elect of the CBF, who begins his role in 2015.
Peixoto: “After the game [CBF president Jose Maria] Marin, and [vice representative Marco Polo] Del Nero made the decision. There was no a formal announcement from the federation.”
At this stage it appears that Scolari has left his post by mutual consent, rather than resignation or having been fired, however the details still need to be fleshed out.
As for who will replace Scolari in the hot seat, former Corinthians manager Tite has emerged as the favorite for the job.
Scolari led Brazil to World Cup victory in 2002 in Japan before taking charge for a second time in December 2012, just before Brazil hosted the Confederations Cup, which they won. His reputation, however, seems to have been permanently tarnished following the 7-1 thrashing to Germany and the 3-0 loss to Holland at the World Cup.
Watch Live Stream
- Brazil coach Tite lavishes praise on Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho (Video)December 1, 2016
- Neymar, Gabriel Jesus & Philippe Coutinho may monetise their goal celebration [UOL Esporte]November 17, 2016
- Man City’s Gabriel Jesus bags goal & assist for Brazil as they make it 6 wins from 6 (videos)November 16, 2016
- Peru v Brazil: Watch a Live Stream of the World Cup qualifierNovember 14, 2016
- Neymar visits Brazil training, while Scolari gets stern talk from CBC chief Jose Maria Marin [Pictures]July 10, 2014
- Big Phil Scolari reacts to Germany routJuly 9, 2014
- Future CBF Vice-President: ‘Luiz Felipe Scolari will never manage a Brazil team again’ [ESPN]July 9, 2014
- Neymar’s agent Wagner Ribeiro launches scathing attack on ‘ridiculous old jerk’ Brazil boss Scolari [Tweet]July 9, 2014