Louis van Gaal names Wayne Rooney as Manchester United captain [Tweets]
- August 12, 2014
— Manchester United (@ManUtd) August 12, 2014
With Nemanja Vidic leaving for Inter Milan this summer, the Manchester United captain’s armband was left vacant and in need of a new owner.
Several players were put forward as genuine candidates: Jonny Evans, Darren Fletcher, and the player many expected to inherit the role, Robin van Persie, due to his close ties with new boss Louis van Gaal.
The Dutchman took his time and didn’t rush the decision, taking the pre-season tour of the US to get to know his players and what makes them tick.
And the Iron Tulip has opted for Wayne Rooney, a surprise choice for many, due to his history of rocking the boat (euphemism for ‘trying to leave), but Van Gaal doesn’t care about that – he’s come in as a new man, with a clean slate, and sees Rooney as his new on-pitch leader.
The news has provoked a bit of mirth on Merseyside, it’s not every day that a Scouser is named captain of Manchester United.
For all people saying that Rooney shouldn't be captain due to previous things then look no further then Roy keane one of uniteds greatest
— Danny Higginbotham (@Higginbotham05) August 12, 2014
On a positive note I think Wayne Rooney will be a great Captain for Utd.
— Paddy Crerand (@PatCrerand) August 12, 2014
Do sport direct do armband of captain refund? Why hell I buy 6! Maybe if Kagawa loyal as Rooney and kind to old ladies, maybe I get chance.
— Evil Kagawa (@evilkagawa) August 12, 2014
Wayne Rooney is Manchester United new Captain not impossible he will also be New Captain of England as well!
— Angus Loughran (@angusstatto) August 12, 2014
Rooney the Man Utd captain. Hahaha
— Jay Riley (@Jay_78_) August 12, 2014
It's Rooney as captain then. Not bothered to be honest. If it improves his play I am all for it
— James (@writtenoff_mufc) August 12, 2014
Selling Rafael, making Rooney captain. Now all we need is Carrick to get a new contract to complete the trifecta of #FOVGYFC
— Callum Hamilton (@Callum_TH) August 12, 2014
On August 31st it will have been 10 years since Wayne Rooney signed for Manchester United from Everton. Natural choice for captain.
— Jonas Giæver (@CheGiaevara) August 12, 2014
- Holland boss Danny Blind reveals he turned down offer to join Louis van Gaal at Man United
- Louis van Gaal sings Frank Sinatra’s ‘My Way’ in superb parody [Video]
- Louis van Gaal has blocked David De Gea’s move to Real Madrid [Marca]
- Manchester United set to bid £20million for Bayern Munich defender Jerome Boateng [Star]
- Man United closing in on £7.5m deal for Bastian Schweinsteiger [Sunday People]
- Man United boss Louis van Gaal wants Everton striker Romelu Lukaku [Sun Sport]
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi