Louis van Gaal expected to name Robin van Persie captain of Manchester United [Pascal Kamperman]
- May 16, 2014
Well, this will make for interesting reading for Manchester United fans.
Leading Dutch journalist Pacal Kamperman has told Sky Sports that he expects incoming Man United manager Louis van Gaal to repeat his bequeathing of the national team captaincy with his new club: i.e. give Robin van Persie the armband, as he did 11 months ago for the Dutch national side.
Asked whether van Persie would be a captaincy candidate, Kamperman told Sky Sports: Yeah I think so because they do have a good relationship
“At the beginning when van Gaal took over as the head coach of the Dutch national team they had to find their position a little bit. But after that it went really well and van Persie was very positive about him.
When van Persie was over here (in Holland) last month because of his injury they talked a lot about the World Cup and the way they like to play in Brazil. So yes he does have a very good relationship with him.”
Given van Persie’s current stock at Old Trafford, where his attitude and commitment was questioned throughout last season, how will United fans respond to this?
Perhaps RVP’s supposed role in ousting Moyes will eventually be seen as a positive and give him a clean slate going into next season?
But from a Serbian defensive warrior (Vidic) to an injury-prone striker renowned for fastidious complaints, this will make quite a change in captaincy style at Old Trafford.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]