Louis van Gaal announces young Dutch World Cup squad, Van Perise & Sneijder in, no Kevin Strootman (injured)
- May 13, 2014
Louis van Gaal has announced his World Cup squad, and if there’s one theme to emerge, it’s ‘Give Youth a Chance’, with the youngest Dutch squad in living memory.
Compared to the halcyon days of your De Boers and your Kluiverts, it’s remarkably lacking in household names, with De Jong, Sneijder, van Persie, van der Vaart and Robben forming the experienced nucleus.
Beyond that core, it’s an incredibly youthful squad, with PSV’s exciting winger Memphis Depay and Man City’s Karim Rekik – just 19 and one cap! – among the kids.
Kevin Strootman, still recovering from injury, hasn’t been risked as it looks as though he won’t recover in time.
- Robin van Persie loses Dutch captaincy, Arjen Robben takes over the Oranje armband
- Dutch FA troll relentless Mexican fan after Robben’s dive inspired a year of tweets
- Leicester City make audacious move for former Holland Manager Guus Hiddink [Independent]
- Holland boss Danny Blind reveals he turned down offer to join Louis van Gaal at Man United
- Backheel + dummy golazo: Japan women score fabulous team goal v Holland [Vine]
- PSV’s Jetro Willems scores incredible backheel penalty in Holland training [Video]
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...