Liverpool uproar as Hillsborough cop Norman Bettison is invited to a Wolves game forces a club statement
- October 30, 2013
Norman Bettison, the disgraced former chief constable at the head of the police cover up in the wake of the Hillsborough disaster, was spotted at Wolves’ away clash with Bradford City on Saturday and that has sparked fury.
Wolves chairman Steve Morgan was photographed warmly shaking the hand of Norman Bettison in the directors box, while several more photos showed the duo chatting along like chums as the match played on below.
It has since been confirmed that Norman Bettison was personally invited to the game by Mr Morgan, and Liverpool fans have spoken out in outrage.
Mr Morgan is known to be a lifelong Liverpool fan and former shareholder who launched a bid for control of the club in 2004, and he has known the former Merseyside chief constable for several years.
On the back of fierce abuse from Liverpool fans, Wolves issued a club statement on the matter on their website on Wednesday. The message read:
The Club has been contacted by many fans regarding some Express & Star tweets this morning referring to a big Wolves story, which was about to break.
The story is that Sir Norman Bettison attended the Bradford City away game in the same way he has attended many Wolves games in the past. Steve Morgan and Sir Norman Bettison have known each other for many years.
Everyone connected with the Club has the utmost sympathy and respect for the victims of Hillsborough and their families, and today’s Express and Star story should in no way should detract from those heartfelt sentiments.
A series of tweets on the matter can be read below.
Feel sorry for Wolves in all this. A great club which doesn't deserve to be tainted by the actions of its owner.
— Tony Barrett (@TonyBarretTimes) October 30, 2013
Steve 'lifelong Liverpool fan' Morgan entertaining Norman Bettison at Wolves games. Disgusting
— Chris McConville (@McConville94) October 30, 2013
You can't have "the utmost sympathy and respect for the victims of Hillsborough & their families" if you choose to socialise with Bettison.
— Jim Boardman (@JimBoardman) October 30, 2013
This fixation on Steve Morgan is boring. I couldn't give a toss who he mixes with. I support Wolves for the football, not Steve Morgan #WWFC
— The Wolf (@OfficialTheWolf) October 30, 2013
- Wolves v Ipswich: Watch a Live Stream of the Championship match
- Wolves v Leeds: Watch a Live Stream of the Championship match
- Pavel Pogrebnyak scored after 19 seconds for Reading v Wolves [Official Video]
- Ex Arsenal man Benik Afobe scores on Wolves debut thanks to slapstick defensive mix-up ...
- Wolves 3 – Fulham 3 (Pens 3-5): Cottagers line up Sunderland tie in the FA Cup [O...
- Watford v Wolves: Watch a Live Stream of the Championship match
- Galatasaray Vs. Bursaspor: A 101 Great Goals special feature on the Turkish Cup final [...
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi