Liverpool & Spurs join the race to loan Barcelona starlet Gerard Deulofeu [Sport]
- June 27, 2013
Catalan paper Sport have confirmed the news in some English papers: Liverpool and Tottenham have joined the race to loan one of the hottest young talents in Europe – Barcelona forward Gerard Deulofeu.
Currently starring in the Under-20 World Cup in Turkey, Deulofeu has banged in the goals for Barcelona B in recent seasons. In 2012/2013, the 19-year-old claimed 18 goals in 33 appearances.
Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova would prefer to loan Deulofeu out for a season due to the quality up front in the Barca first team and teams in La Liga and from the Bundesliga have expressed their interest.
Both Liverpool and Spurs are understood to have contacted Barcelona about signing Gerard Deulofeu on a season-long loan.
Deulofeu is keen to test himself in a competitive league such as the Premier League and Sport add that Tottenham may have an advantage due to their involvement in the Europa League next season.
Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas would play Deulofeu on the wing, as part of the 4-3-3 formation that many have tipped the Portuguese coach to employ next season.
Liverpool are also thought an attractive option as Deulofeu would be able to join up with new signing Luis Alberto who also played for Barcelona B last season.
Sport add that Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers tried to sign Deulofeu last season but the move was blocked by Barcelona.
Gerard Deulofeu will decide which club to join following Spain’s participation in the Under-20 World Cup. Borussia Dortmund and Sevilla are also keen on the young attacker.
- Kid calls Luis Suarez the best, prompting him to clarify who the best actually is
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever [Official Videos]
- Doncaster allowed Bury to walk ball into the net for 95th minute equaliser after freak ...
- The 10 best Premier League signings of the summer so far (Video)
- If Benzema doesn’t move to Arsenal, model Jeinny Lizarazo agrees to be “pun...
- 19 years after that tackle at Man United, here’s what David Busst’s leg loo...