Liverpool shut down as Swiss star Xherdan Shaqiri says he’s staying at Bayern Munich [Blick]
Xherdan Shaqiri still isn’t going to Livepool, so it seems.
For a while now news reports, largely cooked up by the English tabloid press, have been suggesting that Xherdan Shaqiri could leave Bayern Munich for Liverpool.
According to the transfer rumour supporters, they claim that 22-year-old Shaqiri has fallen out of favour somewhat at the Allianz Arena, and with the likes of Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery and Thomas Muller standing in his way, the Swiss star is being starved of playing opportunities in Bavaria.
So a £15m move to Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool is on, right? Wrong.
Swiss paper Blick caught up with Shaqiri over the weekend during his nation’s training before the World Cup, and the player told the paper he is staying put at his club side. As reported by Blick:
“We asked ‘Where will you play next season?’, and Shaqiri laughed and ended all transfer speculation: ‘Still at Bayern Munich!'”
Shaqiri announced himself to European football with Swiss side Basel, before moving to Bayern for €11.6m two seasons ago. He is under contract in Munich until 2016.
In an injury-hit season, Shaqiri has played 18 games for club and country this campaign scoring seven goals and claiming four assists.
- Bayern Munich boost as Franck Ribery starts running again (Video)
- Xabi Alonso is no longer the king of the long range golazo at Bayern Munich (Video)
- Bayern’s Franz Beckenbauer quotes the Bible to convince Pep Guardiola to not join...
- Pep Guardiola has agreed to take over at Man City next season [El Mundo Deportivo]
- Kenny Dalglish tells Liverpool fans to ‘fasten their seatbelts’ for the Jur...
- The Twitter response to Jurgen Klopp’s appointment was record-breaking (Graphic)
- Jurgen Klopp arrives in Liverpool in Matze Knop’s wonderfully eccentric skit (Video)
- Arsene Wenger criticizes Liverpool for ‘irrational’ sacking of Brendan Rodgers
- D’oh: Stuart Pearce confuses Xherdan Shaqiri with Colombian pop star Shakira (Video)
- ‘He has no Job now’: Shaqiri burns Effenberg while denying he moved to Stok...
- Watch Xherdan Shaqiri’s first interview since joining Stoke from Inter Milan (Off...
- Xherdan Shaqiri’s number 22 jersey becomes fastest selling shirt in Stoke City...