Liverpool make a €14m bid for Schalke’s Papadopoulos, CB has €22.5m buy-out clause [Bild]
- July 18, 2013
A throwaway line at the end of an article in German paper Bild has raised the hopes of Liverpool fans that they are close to signing Schalke’s prized Greek defender Kyriakos Papadopoulos.
Papadopoulos, who is currently injured with knee problems, had been a target for Liverpool for some time now (if the papers are to be believed), and Bild have now reported that the Anfielders have made a €14m offer for the Schalke centre-half.
Bild, who fail to mention whether Liverpool’s bid has been accepted by Schalke, go on to state that Papadopoulos has €22.5m buy-out clause whilst “several English clubs” are interested in the Greek international.
Liverpool are on the lookout for a new long-term centre-half after Jamie Carragher hung up his boots at the end of last season.
Whilst the Merseysiders have brought in Kolo Toure this summer, and the Reds still have Daniel Agger and Martin Srtkel on their books too, widespread opinion is that Papadopoulos would be welcomed at Anfield should the Reds manage to get the deal done.
Papadopoulos is known for having a fouling streak to his game, however the defender is nevertheless one of best in the Bundesliga according to Opta. Papa, as he is often called, has scored the joint-highest number of goals (3), has the second-highest tackle-success rate (84.83%), made the most clearances-per-game (6.51) and the most interceptions-per-game (3.77), with only his passing figures letting him down.
The 10 Worst Signings of The 14/15 Premier League Season
- Join Now: 101 Great Goals launches a brand new WhatsApp broadcast list service
- 101GG compile chronological list of the 20 best goalkeepers in world football [Video]
- Thiago Messi’s appearance at Barca celebrations has produced cute Photoshops
- Cristiano Ronaldo comes to the rescue of Japanese child interviewer attempting Portugue...
- What Pep said to Messi
- Best memes & photoshops ahead of the Barcelona v Juventus CL final [Video]