Liverpool interested in Athletic Bilbao winger Iker Muniain, unwilling to pay €45m release clause [AS]
- June 29, 2014
AS have a transfer story about Liverpool chasing Athletic Bilbao winger Iker Muniain on Sunday, which really seems to be about Bilbao closing a new contract to keep the Spanish starlet at San Mames.
Days after Bilbao sold Ander Herrera to Manchester United, Liverpool are reportedly ‘interested’ in Muniain, whom it feels like has been around forever even though he’s just 21-years-old.
Muniain, having made his debut for Bilbao at just 16, is undoubtedly a fans’ favourite in the Basque country, and the understanding is that the club wish to renew the winger’s contract until at least 2018.
The player, though, is yet to agree terms with the club, and Muniain has some leverage in his corner as his present deal expires in the summer of 2015.
With the clock against them, and with Liverpool said to be chasing the Spaniards signature, there is pressure on Bilbao to get a renewal deal done fast.
As for the Liverpool pursuit, AS virtually shoot that down in their own transfer tale claiming the Reds are unwilling to pay the €45m release clause is the player’s contract, and it’s majorly unlikely that the powers at Anfield can negotiate Bilbao down from that fee.
The 15 Greatest Photos of the 2014/15 Campaign
- Awesome video! Cristiano Ronaldo’s son is a big fan of… Lionel Messi!
- The Top 101 youngsters in world football: Don Balon list 2014
- The 13 best free agents available for nothing in summer 2015 ft. Khedira & Gignac ...
- The 11 worst Liverpool signings during their 25 year barren spell [Video]
- Leaked! New kits for 2015/2016! Ft. Chelsea & Manchester United [video]
- The 10 best Premier League goals ever ft. Wayne Rooney & Thierry Henry [Official V...