- Leo Messi writes tribute for ex Arsenal & Barcelona forward Thierry Henry on Facebook
- Brendan Rodgers praises Raheem Sterling & says Liverpool don’t have world class forwards [Video]
- Tottenham fans sing about Wembley after beating Newcastle 4-0 in QF [Video]
- Southampton preparing January move for Dutch Galatasaray star Wesley Sneijder [Mirror]
- Roy Keane confronted ex-Man United man Tom Cleverley over Aston Villa bust-up exit rumours [Sun]
Liverpool interested in Athletic Bilbao winger Iker Muniain, unwilling to pay €45m release clause [AS]
AS have a transfer story about Liverpool chasing Athletic Bilbao winger Iker Muniain on Sunday, which really seems to be about Bilbao closing a new contract to keep the Spanish starlet at San Mames.
Days after Bilbao sold Ander Herrera to Manchester United, Liverpool are reportedly ‘interested’ in Muniain, whom it feels like has been around forever even though he’s just 21-years-old.
Muniain, having made his debut for Bilbao at just 16, is undoubtedly a fans’ favourite in the Basque country, and the understanding is that the club wish to renew the winger’s contract until at least 2018.
The player, though, is yet to agree terms with the club, and Muniain has some leverage in his corner as his present deal expires in the summer of 2015.
With the clock against them, and with Liverpool said to be chasing the Spaniards signature, there is pressure on Bilbao to get a renewal deal done fast.
As for the Liverpool pursuit, AS virtually shoot that down in their own transfer tale claiming the Reds are unwilling to pay the €45m release clause is the player’s contract, and it’s majorly unlikely that the powers at Anfield can negotiate Bilbao down from that fee.
- Updated: June 29, 2014